Monday, July 11, 2016

M and the Sandpile 2016

While we were in GCD, it became apparent that M needed a little extra tlc.

He has been having so much fun, but I could see he was on edge the last week or so.  Any little thing could set him off, he was a little over-sensitive, and not his usual happy self.

With a family meeting and a time of prayer, it all came out.  Everywhere we go, people flock to L.  It's true, I've seen it. L is cute, he's sweet, and he's little. It's the attention trifecta, especially from teenage girls (M's preferred demographic.  Ha!)

M is handsome and intense and growing bigger every day.  He is a wonderful person to know, and people love him.  But he doesn't draw a crowd like L does, and he knows it.

Add to that the perception that nobody listens to him... Well, he just needed some one on one time.

We decided to take a walk, just the two of us.  We didn't have a plan- just started wandering.  But before we had gone far I realized that we were headed straight for the sandpile.

There is something about that sandpile that kids love.  I think, as kids, we climbed it the very day we moved to Coulee Dam!

I was not the least bit interested in climbing, so I let him at it.  


But I realized: this was one of those moments that determine if you are a fun mom or one who sits on the sidelines.

When I started after him, his eyes just lit up. Man, it doesn't matter what a boring, grouchy, lame mom you are. Once you start climbing the sandhill (or jump in the water, or fill in the blank) you are the best mom ever.

It was not an easy climb, but we made it!  And he was thrilled.  The high lasted for days.

Going down!  He didn't wait for me!


Back at the bottom, with the feathers he found. 


I have never, ever been a fan of the whole "dating my kids" thing.  But a walk, just the two of us.  That I can handle.




No comments:

Post a Comment