Saturday, April 2, 2016

Finally Feingold

One of the first things I wanted to do when I knew we'd be in the States long-term was to join the Feingold program.

The Feingold diet is basically how we have tried to feed our boys the last 4 years: no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or sweeteners.

There is no official program available for people living overseas, though we can still be members.  A large part of the program is a pair of books outlining exactly which store-bought/restaurant foods are ok, and they are a US based organization, so that information is localized.  I have wanted to sign up for years, but could never justify the cost (until now).

Anyone can be 100% feingold (stage 2) safe by cooking 100% of their food from scratch with safe ingredients. But we don't.  We do our best to avoid any artificial additives and read every label.  But it's impossible to know for sure. We miss out on a lot that might be ok, and sometimes still have trouble with things that should have been fine.

This week I registered, and I am so excited. Thanks again, mom! There is a (pretty quiet) forum that seems to have a wealth of information, ripe for the searching.  And I haven't gotten access to the members FB group yet, but I know that will be a great resource, too.

We had the books sent to my mom's and will be able to use them as soon as we arrive. In the meantime, I will have the ebooks.  I hope to familiarize myself with them enough that it won't be too crazy the first time we go shopping.

My only concern is how much "junk food" is approved.  The Feingold diet isn't a health food or weight loss diet, and it isn't intended to be.  It's just food that won't give the boys reactions.  So they could technically have sugar cereal, potato chips, pop, TV dinners, and popsicles every day, as long as it's all approved.  

I know I don't have to buy anything just because it's approved.  But I have to admit, I have liked having an easy out keeping us clear of store bought junk all these years.  I'll just have to be honest that yes, you could have that food, but no, I don't want you to eat it.

And as people so often tell me, a little bit of junk food now and then won't hurt them. Now, as long as it's Feingold approved, I can finally agree!


No comments:

Post a Comment