Friday, January 22, 2016

To do: calm down

Good thing I didn't make a New Year's resolution to blog more!

Since our decision in October to take a sabbatical from my work next year and move to the states for a year of rest, I've been pretty preoccupied with making preparations.  

I feel like almost every day I add a new subcategory to my ever-expanding To Do list: home improvements, boys' school business, purging/selling/giving away, last-calls for local medical care including vision/dental/physicals for everyone, financial decisions, route and schedule planning, work-related paperwork...  

It feels good to be doing something, even if each new thing I do seems to set off another list of things, domino style.  It scratches the itch I have- to be busy, to be in control, and to accomplish things. But it also stresses me out.

In my anticipation for our "dream year" next year, I lost sight of the dream year I am already in.  This is my only tenth year of marriage.  My only year with a five and seven-year-old.  My only January, 2016.  And I'm spending it grouching at everyone about how much there is to do!


I'm so lucky to have the job I do, in the city I do, with the family I do. It's pretty ridiculous stressing myself to death planning the perfect year of rest.

I still have a list of things to take care of.  But now, thanks to a long chat with Whim and a longer chat with God, I can approach them joyfully.  Instead of seeing them as hurdles between me and my perfect plan, I can see them as a part of my already-pretty-perfect life.

No comments:

Post a Comment