Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Thai blogging

Thai is such a struggle for M.  It doesn't come naturally to him and sadly, he doesn't enjoy it.  His vocabulary is underdeveloped, so he can't communicate freely.  He gets frustrated and always wants to switch into English mode.  The answer, of course, is to help him build his Thai vocabulary by encouraging him to read more.

Thankfully he can read, albeit not at the level that he reads in English. In Thai, he still sounds out most words, makes some mistakes, and uses picture clues.  Basically, he reads like the first grader that he is.  He doesn't enjoy it.

I've never had to ask or remind him to read in English, but he never reads in Thai until I ask.  I keep waiting for that switch to flip, for Thai to suddenly be fun and natural.  So far, so... Well, I'm still waiting.  But we are not giving up.

This week, I've asked him to read one Thai picture book a day, and blog about it in Thai on his regular blog.  His Thai entries (just 2 so far) are much more simplistic than his normal posts, but it's a start.


I'm so proud of him.  The grit and determination it takes for him to get through a Thai book is much more impressive to me than all the 500 pagers he can easily read in English.  These posts, though formulaic, are borne of genuine effort and thought on his part.  I couldn't be prouder.

No comments:

Post a Comment