Friday, October 9, 2015

Now we are seven

When M was little, I wondered if he would ever settle down.  The older he got, the more it worried me, and I have spent countless hours over the last seven years praying, thinking, and talking about ways to help him calm down.  He was always moving, bouncing, talking, laughing.  I loved his zest for life, but he was such a handful.

This school year, whether it's his new teacher or another year of growing up (or both) he has suddenly become so calm, it's almost unnerving.

I first noticed it at the talent show last month, how serious he was when he was on stage.  Then at his first-grade poetry reading this week- again, all business.  On his birthday, when it was time to open his gifts, he used a pair of scissors to snip each piece of tape, laid the paper to the side, and said in an undertone, "Don't worry mom.  I'll clean this up in a minute."


I'm not complaining!  It's just... who is this quiet person, and what did he do with my son?

No comments:

Post a Comment