Thursday, September 24, 2015

Caps for cure cuties

Aside from being Little Chef day in K5, Thursday was also our school-wide Caps for Cure fundraiser day.


L, naturally, had zero qualms about wearing his new Ninja Turtle bike helmet to class.


I snagged this pic of M from his book blog queue, because I didn't get a proper one.  Fitting picture, though, considering how long he wept the other night, almost sick with worry that there wouldn't be books in heaven.

"I'm just thinking there are some really special ones that I will want to re-read sometimes, and we can't take even one!"

Do you think there are physical things like books in heaven?  I told him what I believe: the Bible promises that there is no sadness or disappointment in heaven.  So either heaven is full of enough books to satisfy him for eternity, or it will be otherwise so unimaginably wonderful that it would make him forget all about them. I hardly knew what to say, to be honest, because I just don't relate.  I feel so apathetic in comparison!

I've said this before, but it becomes clearer all the time... his relationship with books and words is so different from any interest, or hobby, or pursuit I've ever been involved in.

I'm a card-carrying nerd, and I love to read as much as any other introverted bookworm, but I never even thought to wonder if I was going to be able to read in heaven.  The same is true for all the "passions" that I have pursued throughout my lifetime.  They ebb and flow and change, through the different seasons. But they have never meant as much to me as this does for him.



2 comments:

  1. My boys, when they're not outside, always have books in their hands! I've read to them since they were tiny little things and it has just stuck with them. There has to be books in heaven; sometimes there is just no greater joy than flipping through the pages of a good book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We do love books around here. I like to say they're portable sanity, because at least with our boys, I think the only time it's ever quiet is when they're both reading.

      Delete