Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Substitute cupcakes

L's best friend turned five today, and let's just say there was an enormous cake involved.

It's getting harder for the boys to shrug off missing out on treats.  They never used to care, so I don't know if it's a matter of getting older and being more aware of losing out or if they're just tired of it, but they are mentioning things they had to turn down more often, and today M was even a little misty-eyed about it.


So we made cupcakes after dinner - chocolate (chickpea) with strawberry sunbutter spread.

I'm starting to think maybe they should have a box of made-ahead treats in the freezer, ready to be pulled out for moments just like today's.  But L and I had a lot of fun working on them, even if they weren't finished until ten minutes to bedtime.  And I like showing them that when I can, I will do what I can to make it up to them.  They've always been so understanding in the times that we can't-- I think seeing the effort that goes along with the treats has kept them grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment