Sunday, May 31, 2015

Spring summer

It's a three-day weekend, and Whim is out of town at a music festival. At the beach.  I love the beach.

Sometimes we get to tag along on these out-of-town gigs, but this one wasn't family friendly.  The band was sharing rooms. The hotel didn't have a pool and it wasn't walking distance from the beach, or the place where they were playing, or anything fun.   

We agreed that as soon as school was out, we'd plan some trips of our own. It didn't matter.  I needed something.  

Then a friend we haven't seen since her son started Japanese school several months ago asked to meet up at the Spring Summer organic market this afternoon.  Perfect.  Long weekends were made for friends and goodies.

We got there early and lounged in the shade.

When S's family arrived we had pineapple ginger fizzes and cinnamon ginger fizzes and banana bread and zucchini bread and grilled salmon and barbecued steak.  And fruit pops.  It was an additive free bonanza.  Someone had a piece of gluten-free chocolate cake AND and a gf chocolate chip cookie... but there is no need to name names.  The boys got along like S had never left. 




After a leasurely lunch and chat (the secret to a relaxed lunch? find a Japanese mother who doesn't hover and emulate her), S's mom invited us over to swim on her rooftop pool.  Twist my arm, why don't you?


I don't often go out with the boys when Whim's not home.  Especially not downtown and especially not to places I haven't been before.  I'm so glad we did. I'm so glad she asked.

This was just what I needed to get me through the last few days until summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment