Monday, April 6, 2015

Perspective

It's not that I'm not grateful.  I am.

(On the very, very off chance that someone from church Sunday school reads this: I love you!  Thank you for teaching my kids.)

It's not that I minded bringing additive free Easter treats for my sons.  I was happy to.  I will always be happy to provide treats for my kids when the alternative is them getting nothing while other children chow down on special goodies.

(I love you!)

It just felt weird to buy treats, drop them off with my kids, have them search for the same treats as all the other kids but not eat or keep any and then, as they walked out the door, have the treats we brought in handed back to them with a "Happy Easter!"

When I complain about things, Whim will sometimes ask me what it is that I want instead.  That is a good strategy, in that it shuts me up, because it's hard to admit you just want to complain.

What did I want?  

An entire additive-free Easter party?  No.  It's unrealistic.  Everyone has their own food issues, how can you cater to them all?  

A treat-free Easter?  Well, yes, ideally.  But everyone else would hate that, and I would hate to be the one who made everyone else mad, so no.  I could suggest lots of non-food-related fun, but no.

Mix my kids' treats in with the other hidden treats for them to find?  No, obviously.  Too confusing for other kids who would inevitably find them first. 

So there wasn't a better alternative I can think of.  I guess I just want to complain.  I get sick of the boys' diet sometimes.  I don't like them always having to be different.  I admit that I would love to be able to buy them cheap, convenient food when we are tired/in a hurry/whatever without asking 25 questions and eventually just buying sticky rice and milk.  And we could, I have to remember.  It's not life and death.  But we choose to stick it out because it is worth it, for their sakes.

I am grateful to their teachers and the kindness they showed in planning a celebration.  The love they pour into the children's lives is so much more important than the party treats. 

And I am grateful, above all, for the sacrifice and victory that Easter reminds us of each year.  Everything else pales in comparison.  So my kid didn't get a chocolate bunny?  Did I have to watch him be whipped, beaten, and nailed to a cross?  No? Then it is a pretty good day.




No comments:

Post a Comment