Sunday, March 8, 2015

Happy math day

"We should celebrate!" he said.

I agreed.  It's not every day you finish the Early Math section of Khan Academy. Even the characters on the screen were celebrating!

I was thinking a celebratory round of Monopoly or maybe a piece of chocolate.  The sky's the limit, right?  He went to bed, and woke up the next morning with Plans.

M: "We're having a party today!"

Me: "We are?"

M: "Remember?  Khan Academy?  Early Math?  We need to celebrate!"

I wish I could say I was instantly thrilled with the idea and ran with it, but it wasn't even 7 am.  I wasn't sure I had the energy to get out the cornflakes.

A party?  Umm...

I told him he could have a party if he planned it and prepared for it himself.

Come on. At least I didn't say no.  

So we had our breakfast and looked at books and I thought maybe that was the end of the celebration idea.

Nope.  He started listing the things we needed to do to get ready, and I admit I was intrigued.  It was so cute and nerdy.  I passed over my phone and told him to write up his plans.
  


This is when I started getting excited by the idea.  Why not?

He recruited his brother and the rest is history.


I got the decorations out of storage for them, they did the rest.

  
Math bunting- check!

M copied down a cake recipe we found online and it didn't turn out too bad, if you ask me!


Cake- check!

Leave it to M to realize that if you cover the BIR with MA, they'll say Happy Math Day.


Hats- check!

They put Whim in charge of the music and we already had gingerbread men, so according to the list we were all set!

The best part of the whole thing was that he wanted to be surprised. The juxtaposition was just so sweet.  That asynchronous development.  He's working comfortably through math three grades above his level, but still wants to be "surprised" at a party he planned himself.




As Whim lit the candles, he whispered, "I wish I could have friends."  
Sweet boy.
I promise I'll help you find your people. 


Until then, you've got us!




No comments:

Post a Comment