Wednesday, February 11, 2015

An American mom in Thailand

I think I can pat myself on the back and say that, for the most part, I've done a good job raising my kids as (half)Americans in Thailand.

They are both fluent in English: reading, writing, and speaking as well as their American-born counterparts.  They've had many chances to visit family in the United States, they Skype with their Nana often, and are well-versed in American-kid-culture, from tooth fairies to tongue-twisters. 

But, despite it all, one aspect of Thai mothering has rubbed off on me.  It's the swimming unit at school, and instead of sending them with their towels and sunscreens in a grocery store plastic bag, like I know in my heart is normal and ok, I searched through their stuff and found two "cute" waterproof bags to use instead.


It's bad enough to be the only kid in the pool not wearing a wetsuit (that's another story...) but at least I can spare them the indignity of being the only child without a proper re-usable cartoon-character swim bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment