Sunday, January 25, 2015

Another word

I have used a lot of words to describe M over the years.  Scampy.  Wild.  Clever.  Sensitive. Funny. Intense. Quirky.  


Writing about him here has helped me process and make decisions.  I picked him apart, analyzing things that made him seem different, and have found that by writing about him, I always end up understanding him a little better. 

At the end of last year, we found another word that helps describes him.  Gifted.

Words are funny.

'Quirky' rolls off the tongue.  
Gifted falls like a rock.

'Wild' makes connections, inviting other moms to open up and allowing us to laugh together about our crazy kids.
Gifted... doesn't.

Clever, funny... Well, what mom doesn't think those things about her child?
But gifted?  It smacks of "...and your kid isn't."  And all kids are a gift.  But when it comes to being gifted, well, it's statistics.  They don't call it the 100th percentile because 100% of kids are there.

On the one hand, I didn't necessarily want to write about that part of his life.  I don't want my blog to turn into The Life and Times of My Special Snowflakes.

On the other hand... It pretty much already is, so... why not?  

M is gifted.  And scampy.  And wild.  And clever.  And sensitive.  And funny.  And intense.  And quirky.

Nothing's changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment