Saturday, October 11, 2014

Sling makeover

It took M a while to appreciate what a broken arm in Kindergarten means.

Initially, any comment about how "cool" it was brought tears.  "How could someone say that?!!  It's a terrible disaster!"  But now, a few days later, after glorying in the constant questions, attention, and requests to tell how he broke it, he's pointing it out if people don't comment fast enough.  "Excuse me.  Do you see my broken arm?"

But on the morning of the first day with his cast and sling, picture day, his birthday, he still saw it as a reminder of his scary accident.  Looking at it made him sad.



So we spruced it up!

The Avengers stickers didn't make it through the first day, but they got him through the morning.  By the afternoon, it was no longer an issue.  "At what point to I bring a black marker to school and let my friends write their names?

6 comments:

  1. Adorable. I always wanted a broken leg in elementary school. It really does look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wanted a broken bone for the glory, but the leg seemed like such a hassle. I was more arm or maybe foot :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my god! I haven't had internet for weeks and I can't believe I missed this -- must go back and read. I've broken a lot of bones, but I broke my right elbow (the hand I write with) when I was 8 and it was pretty annoying. Especially when it got hot and itchy in the summer. Poor M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's lucky that he's a lefty and broke his right arm.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I have never had a broken bone in my life and have no idea how it feels. But I remember seeing kids at school with slings and casts and thinking how cool it must be. Glad he came around to the idea and hope the hand heals soon :)

    ReplyDelete