Friday, September 26, 2014

Tricks


Every year our school hosts either a weekend retreat or a "Family Fun Day" for the teachers, staff, and our families.  

This year was Family Fun day and the boys have been looking forward to it for weeks, particularly the bouncy castle and the talent show. 

On the way, L could barely contain his excitement.  "I can't believe I'm finally going to see a real dungeon!," he squealed.  I'm not sure what he thought a bouncy castle was, but luckily the real thing didn't disappoint. They both bounced for hours.

We totally dropped the ball and forgot swimsuits, so we had to skip the giant pool hamster ball, but luckily they also had bouncy rock-climbing, so the sting was softened quite a bit.


They were so brave.  It was high!  Look at L way up there!


The talent show, though, may have been my favorite. There were all kinds of funny and entertaining acts.

Both boys entered and made me so proud.  M played the piano and sang along with such confidence.  He was completely at ease, it's like he had never heard of the word stagefright.

And L.  He signed up to do "tricks" and stuck to his guns no matter what anyone said to try to encourage him to consider a more traditional talent.  His "tricks" were authentic and sweet and so very him.  He showed a few cartwheels, handstands, "ninja moves" and then topped it off with his latest trick of all: the elusive snap. I'm so glad he didn't listen to my advice and do anything else.  He trusted himself and his own sense of what is cool.  I could learn a lot from this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment