Monday, August 4, 2014

'Twas the night before school



'Twas the night before school
And all through the home
Not a child is stirring
So I'm writing a poem

The backpacks are waiting
By the front door with care
In hopes that tomorrow
We won't leave them there 

The children are snuggled
All up in their beds
While visions of recesses
Dance in their heads

Whim is out working
And I'm tired as can be 
But I can't turn my brain off
What's happening to me?

My mind keeps on going 
I can't stop the thoughts
I've a half-crossed to do list
But there is still lots

Plan breakfast!
Make lunches!
Find uniform shorts!

Wash blankies!
Pack toothbrushes!
Tasks of all sorts!

Spare clothes have been packed
For the littler one
His brother needs books 
And then I will be done.

Every item is labeled
Water bottles are full
Alarm clocks are set
And my brain's feeling dull

I'd better sleep now,
We'll be up before light 
Welcome back to the school year
And to all a good night!

















2 comments:

  1. You're awesome. This poem was amazing! I love it!! Also, how is it back to school already?? Man, time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We head back earlier than most but get a few longer breaks during the year. I think other schools still might have the rest of the month.

      Delete