Saturday, June 7, 2014

Seizures and surprises

Would you throw your kid a surprise party knowing that sudden startles sometimes trigger his seizures?

With a summer birthday, L's friends aren't always around for the big day.  Our good friends arranged a little pre-birthday gathering for him, since they will be gone for the summer- a little party, just our two families, but a surprise, complete with balloons and hiding places. 

I worried-and waffled- but in the end we went for it, and I'm so glad we did.  He was delighted and completely seizure-free.  We say we want him to live his life normally, so we have to treat him normally, too.

It would be foolish to avoid special surprises for fear of seizures. We got lucky, that day.  Today a bird flew in through the open window and we didn't. There isn't ever much rhyme or reason to it, but the bird today really helped me see that we can't forsee every trigger to manipulate his environment and make him into a boy that doesn't have seizures.

Just now I asked him if he felt like he was going to have a seizure when everyone jumped out and shouted, "Happy birthday!"

"No," he assured me.  "I felt like I was going to have a cupcake!"

6 comments:

  1. AW!!!! "I felt like I was going to have a cupcake!"
    That is the most adorable thing EVER!! Happy Birthday to Lennon! He looks so grown up in that photo!!!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that is the cutest response ever!

    I'm so glad you guys went for it -- and that Lennon didn't have a seizure! OK, I've written 10 different sentences and deleted them all trying to say how awesome you guys are for trying to make things as "normal" as possible for Lennon because I felt like none of them said the right thing. But you guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Mostly things are all pretty normal, but every once in a while we have to decide to keep it that way.

      Delete
  3. Awwn! That sounds like the best feeling ever! :D
    Happy Birthday, Lennon!

    ReplyDelete