Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cookie science

Everyone hates the comments on blog post recipes, right?  It can't just be me.

"Terrible recipe.  One star.  I substituted stevia for the sugar and mashed banana for the oil, and used almond shavings instead of chocolate chips and they look nothing like your picture."  

You think?!?

That being said, I am getting braver about making my own substitions in baking recipes.  I figure even if cookies end up too puffy or crumbly, or cupcakes collapse a little, things would have to be pretty bad before my kids would refuse to eat them.  

Yesterday M wanted to make cookies by himself, and I thought of that old 3 ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe.  He could make it with sunflower seed butter easily enough.  The only problem was, we didn't have any sugar.  Two minutes in, it was pretty obvious that honey (our go-to sweetener) wasn't going to work as a substitute this time.  Luckily a little gf flour turned things around, and he turned out two batches within a half-hour: one plain, one with chocolate chips. 


In this picture, he was trying to convince me that as a scientist, he needed to have two more, so that he could compare them.  Scientifically.  

I let him.  After all, he made them.  And it was for science!

6 comments:

  1. He is just the cutest...I kind of feel like there is no way to truly compare two recipes unless you try at least 2 or 3 of each kind. So, Miles, is completely right...it is science. They sound delicious! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all make sacrifices for Science. It's who we are ;)

      Delete
  2. Hahah oh good, I was afraid that his sad face was because he didn't like how the cookies turned out. Glad they turned out well enough for him to have more :)

    I'm with you: Some people's comments/reviews are so ridiculous! Way to follow the directions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand those people! They are so accusatory and demanding. They forget they are perusing a blog that is a free service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've stopped reading the comments on recipes for this very reason. "I've changed everything about your recipe and it turned out great!" Yeah, thanks, dude...that being said, this picture is absolutely adorable (mustache especially!)

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I can't stop reading them! I saw the funniest parody once of this very phenomenon- it was an ice recipe and the comments were gold.

      Delete