Saturday, May 17, 2014

Dream treats



I have to give my boys some credit. Despite living on a fairly strict diet for such a long time, they never try to sneak junk food or complain.  They pass on offered treats so often, without a peep.  They're five and three year old boys, for goodness' sake!  I would hardly blame them if they threw a tantrum at a birthday party and begged for a cupcake. It just makes their attitudes that much more amazing, the way they roll with everything.

So even though I don't believe that kids need junk food or that it's unfair to deprive them, I do love to let them indulge sometimes when we find a safe treat.

Whim spied these additive free drinks this morning and M was thrilled to choose the purplest one on the rack: butterfly pea and lime.  L chose Bale, aka "the pink one".  

It sparked a conversation about what we would eat if we could eat anything in the world and not worry about ingredients.  M chose a lollypop.  L chose cotton candy.  My dream treat will always and forevermore be wheat thins.  

The boys may be lucky enough to find additive free lollipops and cotton candy somewhere.  But how on earth am I ever going to find gluten free wheat thins???




7 comments:

  1. Hahah I LOVE your dream treat! Wheat Thins is such a mom choice ;) There HAS to be a gluten free recipe somewhere! Seriously, I swear I've come across one (I know it won't be the same as the gluten-y ones, but maybe worth trying?)

    I love how good your boys are. I wouldn't blame them for throwing tantrums either, but it's so cool that they're excited to have treats on their own terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! It never even occurred to me that you could make crackers... To me it's such a store treat, like they have to come in a box. Weird! I googled it and found a recipe in like 2 seconds. No excuses, now. I'll have to try it!

      Delete
  2. Crying with laughter that you chose Wheat Thins! Because, really? I am totally with Lennon, by the way. Yum, cotton candy! And that picture is ADORBS! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine a day without the perfect crunch of a wheat thin. Not airy like a rice cake, not juicy like an apple. Wheat thins are the only things that crunch like that. And that salty, buttery flavor. Now multiply it by 5,000. That's what it feels like to live without wheat thins for 15 years! : )

      Delete
    2. Haha you're too funny. My mom would've totally chosen Wheat Thins or Cheez-Its. She LOVED Cheez-Its (they're delicious).

      Delete
  3. COTTON CANDY!!
    Also, hey!! I missed these boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan... It melts away so quickly you don't get to eat it!

      Delete