Monday, March 10, 2014

Why

"Why do I have to be like this?"

He was crying, with his head in my lap.  Whim had bought some innocent-looking berry-flavored "Rice-Os" cereal the day before from the health section.  They were not ok, but we figured it out the hard way.  We were in the middle of a long, rough day.

I stroked his hair, buying time.  I knew where this was going, but what else could I say.  "Like what?"

"Why did God make me to have reactions when I eat additives, but other kids don't?"

Oh man.

I don't hate that his diet can be hard.  It's worth it.  

I don't hate the reactions, even though they're unpleasant.  We weather them.

I hate that he sees it as something wrong with himself rather than something wrong with the food industry. 

Kids like M are canaries in coal mines.   His reactions are a magnification of what crummy food does to all of us.

I wouldn't change one thing.  I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. Poor guy! It's totally not his fault, it's the stupid food industry's lack of concern for anyone but their pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully he doesn't usually think anything of it. Reactions make him really really emotional.

      Delete