Monday, March 24, 2014

I just knew

Some of my friends and family know that when the boys were little, we used Elimination Communication (EC).  They wore diapers, too, because we weren't that hard core, but they have both used the bathroom since infancy.  People always laugh or roll their eyes about "infant potty training" but the thing is, it's not training, it's just noticing.



When M was about 2 months old, he would sometimes seem to cry for no reason.  Eventually, after checking everything else off the list (not hungry, not sleepy, not wet...), I took off his clothes to make sure he wasn't being poked by anything or bitten by an ant or something.  And as soon as I unstrapped his diaper, he let loose.  And then he stopped crying.  It didn't take a genius to figure it out.  He had to go and didn't want to be stuck in a wet diaper.  I just knew.  And I was right.  It's not like they never had wet diapers, but it became another part of taking care of them and making sure they were comfortable.  


That wasn't the only time I "just knew".

When I stepped off the plane for my first three-week visit to Thailand, I knew I'd live here.  It wasn't that I really, really wished I could, or that I wanted to (yet).  I knew. It was a settled thing.

I knew M would be a thrill-seeker when he started rolling off my chest when I would lie back and lay him there to rest at just five weeks old.  I was definitely right on that one.

I knew I was pregnant (both times) before I tested.  And I knew I was having two little boys.  Again, it wasn't a hunch or a hope, although I was thrilled and had always wanted two sons.  I knew.

I paid a dollar to put my name in for the half court shot 50/50 raffle at a high school basketball game in sixth grade and knew they'd draw my name.  They did. That wasn't the only time I'd ever put my name into a raffle... But that time I knew I would be chosen.

I knew there was something we could do about this, though I didn't know what it would be, at first.


And I knew I would love blogging and the community I would build here!

That's 10 things I just knew for this week's listicle!

8 comments:

  1. wow, you got a gift.

    When I "knew" I was having a boy, it was not. LOL I gave up right then to "bet" on any of my motherhood feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my gift after my two boys! Now I think everyone is having boys!

      Delete
  2. That is amazing!! Your intuition is spot on--and you know it and listen to it. I love it. I have had something like this happen to me. but only once. It was about a work thing. (I was actually wrong about the sex of both of my kids! I was sure it was the opposite BOTH TIMES!) I'm totally impressed with you!! :) --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the work thing? I'm curious!

      Delete
    2. To make a very long story short...It was a Saturday at the hospital and I had already rounded on all my patients and my partners' patients. Everyone was fine and doing well. I was ready to go home. But SOMETHING told me to go back and see one of my partner's patients again. There was no real reason, I just knew I needed to pop in on her before I left. Weird. I walked into her room and the nurse had just hung penicillin on her IV...and she was deathly allergic to it. (There had been a mix up in the pharmacy. She was supposed to get something else.) I walked in and asked what med was starting to run (I don't know why because meds are always being given in IVs in the hospital. I don't normally ask). When the nurse said what it was, I stopped her before the patient got a drop. The whole thing was...weird...but thank goodness!!

      Delete
    3. Amazing! I love stories like that. I can't imagine how grateful her family must have been.

      Delete
  3. AHHH! Love this, Robin! Don't you love those feelings when you just "know?" They're the best. Unless it's something scary of course, haha. That picture of the two boys on the toilet is too cute. You should frame it and put it on your bathroom door so people know which door's the bathroom ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some ominous knowing moments, too. Weird...
      That was one of whim's Instagram pics. :)

      Delete