Monday, February 17, 2014

Memories

If you're not playing QuizUp yet, get thee to the App Store.  You're welcome for introducing you to your next addiction.

You will love it if your brain is completely jam-packed with useless information like mine is.  

I don't actively try to remember this stuff, it's just there.  Like the song we sang in my fifth grade school choir concert:

Kids are music, everybody knows that kids are music, they are full of music from their heads to their toes.  Everybody knows (rest) everybody knows (rest) that kids and music are one. (Two, three, four) Ahhhhh singing in the sunshine, ah-ah-ah-ah whistling in the rain.  Life is fresh and new from a kids' point of view.  Music is for one and every thi-i-i-i-ing.  Rat-ta-tat-ta-tat.

Anyway.  Check this.

Now in fairness, I do love Harry Potter.  I have read the series through more than a few times and seen all the movies at least once.  But it's not like I try to remember the name of the Dursley's Squib neighbor (Mrs. Figg, cat-lover) or who announces for the Quiddich matches (Lee Jordan, the Weasley twins' best friend).  It's just there.

So, it sets the scene perfectly for my debut listicle topic idea: 10 things you have memorized.

1) An obscene amount of movie quotes.  Movies I love, ("This place is a tomb, I'm going to the nut shop where it's fun..."), movies I have been forced to sit through, but hate ("Randy lay there like a slug, it was his only defense"), kids' movies ("I am speed!)  I'm no fun to watch movies with because I always want to quote along.

2) The US presidents (in order, to the tune of Yankee Doodle.  Thank you Mrs. Peterson, my sisters' fifth grade teacher.)  This came in handy when M became obsessed with them last fall.  Thanks to that obsession, my brain is now a repository of other presidential information: favorite foods, other jobs before office, and claims to fame.  If you need to know the fattest person ever to be president, I'm your gal.

3) Bangkok's full name.  I've posted about this before, but it is one of my greatest feats of memory, and I learned it all in one day while ignoring everything else at a seminar for work: kruengthep mahanakorn amonrattanakosin mahintara ayuttaya mahadilok popnokarat ratchatanee burirom udomrachaneewet mahasatan amonpiman awantansathit sakatatiya vishnukamprasit.

4) Songs.  I never would have gotten the presidents without the help of Yankee Doodle, and the only reason I got Bangkok down is because it was an 80's pop song and I listened to it a dozen times.  Music is magic when it comes to memory.  How else can I explain knowing the lyrics to songs I have never even liked, like 90's boy band pop hits? I even remember cereal jingles from when I was a kid.  (I do use this to my advantage regularly to trick my children into learning things.  It seems to work on them, too. )

5) Dozens of passwords.  Ask yourself- how many passwords do you have committed to memory?  Email accounts, social media sites, work computer access codes, parent online gradebooks, teacher online gradebooks, curriculum mapping sites, online versions of various textbooks, educational websites logins, ebanking sites.  It's ridiculous!  But they are all in there somewhere.

6) Sections of the Westminster shorter catechism.  When we started using parts of it for chapel this year, I had a vision of teaching it to the boys, but we haven't gotten very far yet.    Here's L answering some of the first questions.  

7) The airplane alphabet: alpha bravo Charlie delta echo foxtrot gulf hotel India Juliet kilo Lima....

8) Binary counting.  I learned both 7 and 8 in high school, just for fun.  I'm sure you can imagine how cool I was. 

9) Strangely, I can remember when and where I learned almost every word of Thai I know.  There may be a few basic words I picked up without realizing, but every word I intentionally learned, I still remember.     

10) The Thai alphabet song.  It's nothing like the ABCs.  The Thai alphabet has 44 letters, not counting vowels, and each "letter" is actually a phrase.  Like "a is for apple, b is for ball" except it's universal.  The Thai alphabet song puts each of those phrases into longer sentences that are "easier to remember".

So there you go.  It's no wonder I can't remember my mental notes anymore.  I've used up all my memory space!!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my. You are cracking me up! First off I love your topic and I want to have you on my pub quiz team! I always tried to remember all the airport names to impress the pass angers but the way I said Suvarnabhumi usually caused a giggle. ( and I totally googled how to write it down just know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suvarnabhumi = sawanapoom. So weird :) working in the airlines must have been so fun and exciting!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You do have a good memory! My list this week was mostly numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking I could do a whole list of numbers!

      Delete
  3. that is some memory, I just couldn't think...but I should have put all the things I remembered for my son. ...love your background,,,,what a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toyed with doing memories all about my kids :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, man...I don't have that app. I feel a new obsession brewing....

    I'm impressed you know all of the presidents! I need to learn that song! I can learn anything if it's set to music (as I think School House Rock proved). It can be 15 years since I've heard a song...but the minute it comes on the radio I can sing every word! It amazes my kids since I often can't remember what I said yesterday!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My version is so outdated you have to chant "Clinton, bush, obama" at the end after the rest of the song is over :) I bet YouTube could set you up with a way better version

      Delete
  5. The kids are music song is randomly in my head today...and thanks to Google, everything you thought happened...HAPPENED! More specifically, I remember the sheet music that had the dance moves on the page. On kids and music are one, we all used to shout "Kids and music are disco!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I knew I wasn't the only one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I totally can do number seven! I'm so proud of it. Plus I know all the states and capitals (just the US, I'm not that cool). I totally know weird random movie, TV and comedian quotes. It's only awkward when nobody knows what I'm talking about :) Going to download Quiz Up right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love quiz up. It is amazing because there are so many categories!

      Delete