Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fact and opinion

"Don't you just like saying 'Barak H. Obama' better than 'Barak Obama'?"

That is so M. He loves facts.  Facts about dinosaurs...  or insects... or space... or- lately- presidents.

Recently I was explaining the idea of opinion vs. fact to M. When it finally made sense to him, it was like he had been given a pair of x-ray goggles.  He suddenly saw the world in a new way and spent days classifying information.  

"That's a fact!" became highest praise.  Opinions were deemed second-rate, declared almost with a sigh of pity. 




 I didn't even realize how important fact and opinion had become to us until the boys were squabbling in the backseat and L shouted, "You're an opinion!" at his scandalized brother.

A day or two later, M asked why he had to hold my hand when we were walking out to catch a taxi to school?  "Moms know best," I said absently and he burst into tears! 

"But best is an opinion!" he wailed.

Why couldn't the "appropriate vs. inappropriate" conversation have hit home like this?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, this is absolutely the cutest thing I have ever read...and THAT is a fact! I LOVE IT! What a doll. And that card...it's so adorable I can hardly stand it. I'm going to be smiling all day just thinking about this. (The argument ending with YOU'RE AN OPINION did me in! I may try that line sometime and see how it works for me!) --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lennon has always even creative with insults. My favorite was the time he yelled "you are my sunshine!"

      Delete
  2. Robin, I just wanted to tell you your kid is officially smarter than me!

    But seriously though, isn't that just adorable?!

    Also, you should probably tell Miles that he's not an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what hurt worst was not the slander of it, but the inaccuracy... But I'm NOT an opinion!

      Delete