Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Least favorite thing

Least favorite thing in my life right now = L having seizures on stairs.

You would think that people are on stairs only a few times a day and it wouldn't happen very often, but his happen when he cries and kids actually do kind of cry a lot on stairs.

A week or so ago, after plenty of fair warnings about not dawdling over his dinner, L was left to finish at the table alone, much to his distress.  I went upstairs and he started to cry, and I guess he felt himself starting to go into that mode.  Instead of lying down in the recovery position, he tried to get upstairs for help.  And then he had the seizure on the stairs, thankfully at the bottom.

A few weeks before that we were all sort of doing our own thing around the house, I don't remember what exactly, when L suddenly realized he was alone downstairs and it scared him.  It's one of those things where it could happen a hundred times without triggering one, but this time it did.  Again, he tried to race to find someone and ended up having one on the stairs.

The answer here, of course, it to teach him to put himself into the recovery position, no matter what, but how?  The only thing he wants to do is get to me.



6 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh Robin, that must be SO SCARY. I honestly have no idea how you would teach him to avoid the stairs. Do you think as he grows a little older, some of that fear will lessen for him and perhaps he will be able to stay away from the stairs? I am just so sorry. Hugs.-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it will get easier as he gets older.... I can't imagine him getting scared like that much longer. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry, Robin. I hope it gets better. I understand why he would want to go to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Xae. It's comforting to him to be with me, I do understand. :)

      Delete
  3. Robin! That's so sad!! Poor baby. Maybe you could get him like an emergency whistle? Or some noisemaker where he could be in the proper position, but still alert you? I know that kind of sounds weird, but maybe it'd make him feel better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, Tara! Love it. It will take some thinking to think of something he could do- the whistle might not be something he could manage if he's already starting, but something. Thank you!

      Delete