Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I'm proud of the pictures we didn't take

A
B

C
D
H
I
J
L
O
T

U
V

X
Y

We've spent the past two Saturday mornings at the park on an alphabet hunt.

I'm a total sucker for this kind of project.  Entertaining... educational... outdoors. 

The boys ate it up.

Well... until they were done.  We found about 6 or 7 letters the first time we went, and then several more with renewed vigor when we went back the next week.  But the boys aren't cursed with my do-or-die mentality when it comes to things like finishing the whole alphabet.  They just enjoyed it, without tying it into accomplishing something. 

It is totally my nature to reduce something like this to the end result.  I probably could have cajoled a few more out of them without too many complaints. (Come on guys.... you really don't see ANYTHING around here that looks like an S?)  And then I would have had to lay on some major hints for the last few.  (Hmm... what does this chair leg look like?)  And by the end I'd be saying, "Ok, just two pictures, come on guys, we're almost done!"

But I didn't!  It's good for me.   I could feel myself becoming a less uptight person while I reminded myself, "Z doesn't matter...and I was never that fond of F, anyway."

Besides, there's always next Saturday. :)








8 comments:

  1. You definitely did it the right way...I wish I was better about that...I tend to focus on the idea I have in my mind of how it will go, which leaves me quite disappointed a lot...so silly, right??!!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it too.... Knowing is half the battle, right? :)

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of a movie, It's a Mad, Mad, World. Groups of people are looking for money buried under a "Big W". It is from the 60's and is so funny. Found your blog from Our Sonny Life. Your 2 guys are so cute, but I get jealous when I see a child with more curls than my 5 year old! You are blessed with a good family! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you :) we're a lucky bunch! I'll have to check out that movie and thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand what you mean. I might have to go back in the middle of the night with a flashlight...or not...lol

    Looks like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha! I know what you mean Xae. It can be torture to leave something unfinished. :)

      Delete
  5. That is such a great idea!! I love it!

    And I would totally have to finish it-but you're right, such good practice for you! (and me, when I have kids and steal your idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll finish it one of these days. :)

      Delete