Sunday, July 7, 2013

Suan Sampran

I should be packing. 

Today I unearthed the suitcases from the dungeon under the stairs.  I did three loads of laundry.  I packed the boys' suitcase.  I went to the grocery store for new toothbrushes and travel snacks.


I have not packed.

Whim has packed.

So, naturally, I am working on a blog post.

Suan Sampran is one of my favorite day trips from the city, and we visited there yesterday with our friends the Heils.  It is peaceful and beautiful, and I never get tired of the traditional activities.

Besides being way late (Sorry, Malia!!) and a little spat that may or may not have, but definitely did spring from being way late, we spent a wonderful morning there.  It was the perfect way to celebrate the end of summer school and the beginning of the real summer holidays.

Whim brought along the real camera, so this will be a break from the crappy but easy iPhone pictures.

Bamboo jump rope

Milling rice the old fashioned way

Gorgeous Mika grinding coconut

Clay pottery and silly faces

Silkworm farming

Look at my little Leave it to Beaver boy

Muay Thai

I think we did great with five kids under five.   Minimal crying, occasional naughtiness (I'm looking at you M and L).

And one of the best parts was that Whim and Mark agreed to swap photo shooting sessions, so we each came away with family pictures.

I'll save ours for another post, but here's one of the whole Heil family.





8 comments:

  1. The best day! :D Thanks, Robin (and your whole fantastic family)!
    Don't sweat packing. After all, you're going to the States, and they do have Walmart. ;)

    P.S. I love the pic of Miles and the clay pig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw in a bunch of stuff after I hit post, I think I'm good. :)

      Whim uploaded the pictures and I sent a link to Mark's facebook - he's probably already seen them by now, but just in case. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! That sounds like so much fun!!! I love the jump rope with bamboo! I totally went back and added an update to my 4th of July post-we jumped double dutch!! It was so fun.

    I can't wait to see the family photo sessions of you guys!

    I hate being late. I try not to get upset, but it usually requires more zen like patience than I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I'll check it out again. :)

      The worst is we were having so much fun all the way there- then when we realized we were lost and weren't going to make it in time, the pressure started rising and little things like my phone not working right were aggravating me so much more than usual. I hate being late!

      Delete
  3. Oh, what great pictures and what a day!! The fact that you did it with 5 kids under 5...I bow down! (I know there were 4 parents there, but STILL) :)

    Loves the clay pottery face!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place, and Whim is so good with the camera.

      Delete