Monday, July 15, 2013

L's dream day

L has wanted to go on the bumper cars forever.

When you are three, pretty much everything you've ever waited for is a life long dream- after all, your life isn't that long to begin with.

Anyway, the bumper cars place in the mall back home has a height limit, and L's not even close.  He'll probably be about 9 when he makes the cut.  But every time we pass it, he runs to size
himself up, positive that this time it's going to be his lucky day.

Well, Friday our friends took us to the opening day of the OC fair, and right there in the middle of the kids' zone, there it was: mini bumper cars. 

L made the height requirement by a hair.  He ran in and picked a car and sat down, exuding confidence.  I was nervous, sure that with the first jarring crash he'd go into a seizure and we wouldn't be able to get to him until the ride finished.  But I know we can't wrap him in cotton wool, and that he could just as easily have one from stubbing his toe, so we might as well let him live.

The ride started, and L's car was facing away from me.  He got slammed several times right away, but I couldn't see him to gauge his reaction.  I was almost in a frenzy by the time he got his car turned around and I could finally see his face. Pure joy.  Absolutely thrilled!  He cheered every time someone slammed him and laughed every time he got someone else.  He rode it twice and didn't have a bit of trouble.

Waiting for the ride to start.

And since we were busy making dreams come true, we figured it was the perfect time to fulfill another one of L's dreams.  We topped the day off with his first ever ice cream cone.  

I love being on vacation. (And Whole Foods!)

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for mini bumper cars!! The way you described him sizing himself up at the place near your house made my heart squeeze. The fact that he rode the mini bumpers without a problem and had the time of his life is just awesome. Top it off with an ice cream cone and BEST VACATION EVER!!! SO happy you guys are enjoying your vacay! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has talked about the bumper cars non-stop since then. The ice cream cones have gotten a lot of airtime, too, but nothing like the bumper cars. :)

      Delete
  2. That's so awesome!!! I love that you are a parent like that-hands off when necessary. And I really mean that in the biggest compliment way. I hate bumper cars, Lennon can go on mine for me from now on :)

    p.s. Whole Foods is the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara. I haven't been on a bumper car in 15 years... I figured I still like it, but I'm not sure. :)

      Delete
  3. I tried bumper cars once and sucked at it. But YAY for Lennon. And for the ice cream cones :D So happy you guys are having such a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried bumper boats once and they made me sick!

      Delete
  4. mini bumper cars: kawaiiii!

    ReplyDelete