Monday, June 3, 2013

Strawberry yogurt pops

I know I've said it before, but when you live in a tropical country it takes work to make the seasons seasonal.

In winter we have Christmas, and seasonal treats, and wintry traditions...

Fall is always back-to-school, and Halloween, and carving watermelons when we can't find pumpkins...

Spring has Easter and Songkran...

But when it's hot 365 days a year, and you can go swimming or go to the beach or run through the sprinklers any day you wanted, how do you make summer feel like summer?  We don't even have the fourth of July!

The answer might be ice pops.
This was our first attempt of the summer- M did it himself and even decided on the recipe.

About four big spoonsful of unsweetened yogurt.
Pour in some juice.
Stir.
That's it!  Put it in Popsicle molds and freeze.  We did them in the afternoon, so he ended up going to bed without tasting the fruit of his labor- I told him they'd be ready tomorrow.

The next morning M raced in to our room first thing in the morning and asked, "Is it tomorrow?"
Ice pops for breakfast.  If that's not summer, I don't know what is.

They were a hit.  And I've got pineapple and young coconut in the freezer for the next batch.

Any ideas for more summer-only treats or traditions?

8 comments:

  1. YUM!! My girls would LOVE doing this! And they look completely tasty!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were good! I had a bite or two to 'help manage the drips'

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh so jealous! Is it tomorrow? So cute. Hmmm summer to me means BBQs and going to the beach....and walking to get ice cream. But ice pops for breakfast sound way more awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbecue is a good idea. We do it sometimes, but not often enough that it wouldn't be special.

      Maybe we will make ice cream!

      Delete
  3. That's the cutest question, 'is it tomorrow?'
    Who can refuse a treat to a kid who says that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's the kind of cute thing that I don't want to correct, even though he has to learn it. It's just so cute. :)

      Delete
  4. I love how you cook. I pinned this to my "things I'm actually gonna do" board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll never go over a reader's head! :)

      Delete