Friday, May 3, 2013

Could have been

I had all kinds of career aspirations as a child.

For a long time, any time someone would ask me, I'd say that I wanted to be an artist.  I couldn't even draw a horse head like every other self-respecting girl in my second grade class, so don't ask me where that came from, but that was my answer.

As I got older, I wanted to be an astronaut.  I still think that would just about the most amazing job in the world (or out of it, whatever the case may be) but I guess I temporarily forgot about my astro-dreams when I was in high school because I decided to study engineering and then become an elementary school teacher instead.

It doesn't even matter because clearly I have missed my calling.

I was born to be a baby hairclip maker.

I went to a baby shower this afternoon.  Normally, I don't even like baby showers, because it's awkward and I don't like activities and the games suck.  But this was the best baby shower I've ever been to because while everyone was sitting and chatting they had laid out all these ribbons and buttons and things to make barrettes for the new baby girl.

I made one other, a giant pink one, but I didn't get a photo of it.

It was the perfect thing to keep the conversation flowing at the table- everyone oohing and ahhing, and "please pass the glue gun"ing.  We didn't have to pin the tail on anything or dress anyone up like a giant baby.  We just visited and ate snacks and made amazing hair accessories for two hours.   Is there not a position available somewhere where I can do that full time?

6 comments:

  1. They say the key to happiness is figuring out a way to get paid for what you love doing. You've totally found your calling!!

    Already you are the best baby hair clip maker I know, and you've only been in the biz for 24 hours.

    All you need to do now is set up a e-commerce widget in your side bar and you will be on your way to riches. --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think you are joking but I know two people with a web-based hairclip business! No wonder, it's so fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Those are so cute!! What a great idea! You should totally pin that for 'baby shower ideas' :)

    I still am trying to figure out what I want to do career wise. I wanted to be a psychologist, then an interior designer, then I majored in engineering and now I want to be....something else. But I swear my true calling is assembling puzzles or reading books really fast. Maybe I can get a job 'testing' jigsaw puzzles and you can work next to me making baby barrettes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, if you get a job doing jigsaw puzzles I want to do that with you! :)

      Delete
  3. Those are adorable. You know you could totally make them and sell online. I would tell everyone I know who has or is having a girl - I promise :D
    I wanted to be a doctor at first, then an interior designer. I still want to do that! But I've missed my chance so I am hoping something to do with PR now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I wouldn't like my own business. :) it was just fun because it was a party.

      It's never too late, girl! You're so young, too.

      Delete