Friday, April 19, 2013

Miracle days

Yesterday was a day of miracles.

We went to the immigration office and applied for my yearly visa renewal.
Then, armed with my new visa, I applied for my re-entry permit, allowing me to leave Thailand for the summer, but come back in again under the same visa.
Then Whim got his new international driver license, which unfortunately expires every year.
THEN we got M's passport photos taken, for his new passport application at the US embassy today.
THEN we had to get pictures developed that showed M growing over the past 4-1/2 years, as part of the application process.

Five. We did five errands yesterday at four separate places of business. WITH the kids. I used to dread these kinds of errands with the boys in tow. Just one would require my maximum daily allowance of patience, and I'd still end up walking out in shame when it was all said and done.

There was usually another mom or two who got it and would shoot me a look of solidarity, but mostly I always felt so alone. Why are everyone else's kids just sitting there? Why is my kid the only one climbing the filing cabinets? Why doesn't anyone else look as stressed as I feel?

Yesterday they sat. I was prepared: snacks, puzzles, books, and the iPad as a secret weapon. But still, they were just so good. I am used to people commenting on how cute they are (that probably sounds conceited, but it's the truth) but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to people saying how well-behaved they are.

Today we had just one errand: M's new passport at the US embassy. We were finished before noon, but something tells me the boys were still worn out from all the errands yesterday.

8 comments:

  1. Days like that are to be treasured for sure...they are such a rarity in my home! ;)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that we went through those crazy times just to make us grateful for the good times we're having now.

      Delete
  2. Awww cutie pies! And for the record, your five day errand day makes ME tired and cranky just thinking about it! Without kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad enough without kids, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Aww...they're growing up :)
    That's a lot you did in two days. I might not have been able to hold up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to do to be ready for our summer trip! :)

      Delete
  4. that sounds so nice. and those were no ordinary errands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so sweet individually, but with the combo a day like that is rare.

      Delete