Monday, April 29, 2013

It only took me 10 years.

After living in Thailand for almost 10 years, this weekend I accomplished something I have wanted to do ever since I heard of it in my first year here.

I learned the name of our capital city.  In English, we say Thailand's capital city is Bangkok, and in Thai, people refer to it as "Krung Thep" (city of angels.)

But that is actually a shortened version of the official name:  (deep breath)

Krungthep Mahanakon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Pop Nopparat Ratchatanee Burirom Udom Ratachniwet Mahasatan Amon Piman Awatan Satthit Sakatattiya Wisanu Kamprasit.

The name was set to music by a popular group in the 80's, so I memorized it by singing along.

(For the record: It didn't take me 10 years to learn it, just 10 years to decide to finally sit down and memorize it.)

Even though it's not an acronym, I think it's still a good fit for this week's listicle. 

15 comments:

  1. I didn't listen to you sing along because I am a teacher as well and am sitting in class during exam time! haha wouldn't that be a trip .
    This is a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really me singing- that wouldn't be anything worth clicking unfortunately. :) that's just a YouTube link to the song. :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! I just listened to the song and LOVED it!
    Good for you for finally memorizing it :)
    I was at that train station :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the song it would have been a lot harder to learn!

      Delete
  3. that song was great. I think if I listened to it a few hundred time I'd finally get the name right! LOL
    loved that you decided to do this instead of go with the acronyms list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I listened to it until I remembered the tune, then just read it over and over to myself (while I was in a meeting. Shh!)

      Delete
  4. At first I though, "Gosh, 10 years to decide to learn the capital? I wonder why"...um...well now I know!! I feel like a song is the only way to do it!! That song is 80's-tastic SWEETNESS right there. --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id have been completely out of luck without the song. :)

      Delete
  5. Holy shit that is impressive. I thought Hawaii won with the state fish name, but this one wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look up the Hawaiian state fish- I didn't know it was long. :)

      Delete
    2. It's more just hard to pronounce....but it's long for a state fish!

      Delete
  6. Well...I'd say that learning the capital city is a great accomplishment to share!

    Stopping by to say a happy belated Listicles Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little tricker than, say, Washington DC.

      Delete
  7. That's awesome! You rock, and completely wow me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! I bet you could learn it too. :)

      Delete