Monday, March 4, 2013

Ten things I'm proud of

This week's listicle challenge - Ten things I'm proud of.  At one point in my life, this would have been impossible.  Ten things I'm awful at - easy.  Ten things I tried and failed - no problem.  Even ten most embarrassing moments or ten things I wish I had done differently would be better.  Self-depreciating is so easy.

But ten things I'm proud of... that takes guts, and I haven't always been so brave.

Now, though, I can. 

1.  Learning a new language.  A hard one.  I learned to speak, read, and write Thai without lessons or language school.  In fairness, I really can't spell well, but who cares?  Neither can plenty of Thai people.

2.  Leaving my home and starting a life for myself in a new country, where I knew no-one.  It was exciting and scary, and I will be proud of it for as long as I live.

3.  Running two marathons.  I've heard a lot of jokes about how everyone wants to run a marathon to prove something, but you know what?  It did prove something.  It proved that I can set a goal and work hard at it, and not quit, even when it's hard, and push myself, and achieve something difficult.  What's so funny about that? 

4.  Graduating from college Summa Cum Laude.  That looks horribly stuck-up in writing.  But I'm leaving it, because I worked hard for it and I was proud when I earned that distinction, even if it does seem a little silly to talk about it now.  You'll just have to take my word for it that I'm not conceited. ;)

5. Exclusively breastfeeding my boys for six months, and continuing to breastfeed them for over a year, each.  This is no mommy-war veiled insult or jab to formula-feeding moms.  What you do with your boobs is your own business.  It was something I wanted to do, and I did it.  I credit is as one of the most difficult things I've ever done, and I could never leave it off this list.

6. Helping L memorize his Bible verse for Sunday school every week.  M is so sharp and loves to memorize, so I can't take any credit for that.  But L's only 2 and it takes a fair bit of work each day to have him ready for Sunday mornings.  I'm proud that I make it a priority.

7.  Never teaching a boring Chapel at school.  All the teachers have to teach Chapel once a year, and not to toot my own horn (too much) but mine is always fun.  We've all sat through some real clunkers, and I'm always proud when the kids tell me they loved mine.  (I'm due to teach in two weeks and my presentation is not ready yet.  This is a motivational speech to myself.)

8. Not taking Whim's number all those years ago... When we first met, he tried to give me his number under the guise of being helpful.  "If you ever need something, you could give me a call."  I almost took it out of manners, knowing that we had hit it off, but that I would never, ever call him and all would be lost.  Instead, I said no thanks, but offered him mine instead.  He called me the next day, and the rest is history.

9.   Finding ways to keep M and L healthy and happy, even if it means some sacrifices.  Sometimes people tell me they wouldn't be able to give up this-or-that, or they couldn't imagine trying to follow our diet, and it makes me proud that I can.  I actually like junk food, or used to anyway.  I never used to care about food coloring or MSG.  It would be way, way easier to just give them any old thing and not worry about it.  So I'm proud that I am able to put them first.

This is what used to happen to Miles' eyes, pre-diet.  And it's his actual eyes that are swollen, not the eyelids.

10. Writing a list of my accomplishments and publishing it with pride and only the slightest cringe.  Way to go, me.

24 comments:

  1. Nice post. I don't think you sound conceited at all! You should be proud of your accomplishments. I am so down on myself all the time -- as are many of us -- that this was a good idea. I might just do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... you should do it! It actually felt pretty good to think through and put down in writing. :)

      Delete
  2. I truly enjoyed reading this list was proud for you all the way till ten.
    You really have to tell the story of you and Whim some time. You know...how you met and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Xae. I looked for another funny list from you this week, you aren't proud of any hunky actors?? ;)

      Delete
  3. I am proud of your list! It is a most fabulous list...heartfelt, thoughtful and shines with truth and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You always write really nice comments!

      Delete
  4. Wow. I really, truly loved reading your list. Great things to be proud of, for sure. I'm so impressive with every single one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your list was lovely, too. :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful list to be proud of. Go girl and I LOVE LOVE LOVE #8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I think it's no different, but I'm still glad I didn't take it. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Robin--thanks for stopping my blog...always good to know of other moms who have stay-at-home dads! I am so glad you included your breastfeeding one--I should have included that in mine too! Thanks for reminding me. I pumped milk for my eldest (a early preemie who was never able to nurse) until he was 15 months, and then nursed my younger two until they were almost three. I'm so glad I did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I can only imagine it wasn't easy, but so worth it!

      Delete
  7. Go you! And I'm impressed at living in a foreign country and learning a new language. Those are two things that would terrify me. I like to joke that I don't put my kids in the language immersion programs at school because we can barely speak English! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! They'd learn it so easily at that age and then they could gossip about you and make secret plans! No good. :)

      Delete
  8. Those are all awesome!! Learning a new language?! Holy crap, good for you!

    And running marathons is awesome! It's really cool to set a goal and achieve it. I always feel silly saying I'm proud of that, too, but running 26.2 miles is no joke!

    Why is it so hard to talk about ourselves in a good way? It's kind of awful that it's so difficult for people (including myself), isn't it? It's easier not to get made fun of if you are making fun of yourself already. But you should be proud of all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara. I think we were all taught to be humble, and we don't want to come across as conceited... At least I don't. But it felt pretty nice to think of this list. You should do it too.

      Delete
  9. What an amazing list!! YOU SHOULD BE PROUD GIRL! I love your adventurous spirit. This is the first time I have been here and looking forward to visiting again! I adore elehants so I am rather jealous of that top photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice words! I love elephants, too. :)

      Delete
  10. I love your list!! These are all awesome things to be VERY proud of!! You are amazing, friend!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... You're not so bad yourself. ;)

      Delete
  11. Might be my favorite list yet! Rock on, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes!! Way to go you. Really truly so much to be proud of. And so much more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This list is always so enjoyable. I'm glad I found it!

      Delete