Tuesday, March 26, 2013

S/W/M seeking C/T/W/S for R/M

S/W/M seeking C/T/W/S for R/M.  As in:

Seriously worried Mom seeking cool teen with seizures for role model.

I just spent the last hour googling things like "seizure+role model" and "support+kids+seizures" and "cool+teen+epilepsy" and "help me my son cries every time he has a seizure and wets his pants".

I don't even know what I'm looking for.  A video of a cool, confident-looking kid talking about how he has seizures and wets his pants and how it's ok?  An educational cartoon showing a kid having a seizure and everyone treating him like it's not a big deal?  Anything! I just need something to convince L that it's ok and he's not alone.

He's not an anxious child in general.  And he's not the self-pity type (after all he's not even three yet- self-pity is kind of advanced.)  But yesterday he had a seizure and afterward he just cried and cried.  He was just sad and it sucked.

I want him to have someone to look up to, who can make him see that it's a bummer, but it's not really so bad.






11 comments:

  1. Oh Robin. :( This totally made me cry. I am so sorry he is struggling with this, and I wish so much you could find someone who could tell him that it is okay.-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Lennon :( He is so cute and sweet! How sad for all of you. What do you think is causing it? Or do you have any idea? Stress?

    Neil Young has seizures. You should write him an email and see if he has any advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to clarify that I meant stress for the seizures. Is he worrying about them, thus causing more? I was afraid my question would sound too offhand, like I was sneering, and I am definitely not!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do think he's stressing about them (particularly about bladder control) and triggering them more.

      I did keep finding lists if celebrities but I never thought of actually trying to contact anyone. Hmm... Worth a shot. :)

      Delete
    3. You totally should! I mean, if I were famous, I would love to try to help a parent or kid.

      Delete
  3. Don't anyone who has seizures. But if I ever meet one you'll be the first to know. I'm so sorry, Robin.
    It kinda makes me feel mad cos you're awesome and your kids are precious and I just can't help but think you don't deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it, but I do believe it must be for a reason. :)

      Delete
    2. I meant I don't *know* anyone who has seizures.
      Also, you're right. I do believe it's for a reason too. But it's still sad anyway.

      Delete
  4. everyone needs a role model! i hope you find your supercool seizure teen soon. until then...is it any help to know that you guys are the role models for so many?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it. I've got a coach friend on the lookout for a sporty "seizure teen" (love it) as we speak. There has to be some, epilepsy is really not that uncommon. And in the world we live in today, where everyone is always making videos of themselves holding up cards in front of their webcam to music, there must be scads of kids who want to make a video about seizures. I must just be looking in the wrong places.

      Delete