Friday, March 29, 2013

Pinterest prejudice

I have a love/hate relationship with pinterest. 

We all do, right?  We love it for the cool ideas and inspiration.  But we hate it for all the cool ideas and inspiration.

Nobody has time for that, come on!

It started out as love at first sight.  Funny pictures and quotes, neat ideas, cool links to check out.  I pinned a billion things and tried about four.  And then I got overwhelmed by it, and it started annoying me.  Those birthday parties looked more pulled together than my wedding.  Seriously.  Actually, seriously more pulled together than my wedding.  And don't even get me started on the sheer number of wedding/burlap/mason jars pins I saw.  I wasn't looking for them, they just could not be avoided.

And all those hands-on activities for toddlers.  I'd read through them and feel a temporary euphoria.  I'm going to make sensory bins and educational activity centers!  I'm going to arrange my boys' meals into fun and appetizing pictures!  I'm going to transform their room into a comfy learning space!

But then I'd just give them sandwiches and play cars and dinosaurs with them and put them to bed in their same, old room.

Suddenly, I was over Pinterest.  What's more, I was above it.  I don't need to prove myself to anybody, I told myself.  I'm not supermom and I'm not pretending to be.  I no longer felt the urge to take a quick peek at Pinterest every time I picked up my phone.  I didn't even want to use it on an as-needed basis to look for a particular idea or recipe.  It was a clean break.

But then, every once in a while I'd think of something I'd seen earlier on Pinterest.  And I'd want to do it, but not want to give in to the temptation and let Pinterest win.  For whatever reason I was digging in my heels.  I'm genuine, I'd tell myself.  Just be me.  The me I was for my whole life before Pinterest came along.

But it's kind of weird to be yourself by not doing something that appeals to you.  Hmm....

The thing is, before Pinterest, I liked to try cool things I heard about.  So the love is back.


I'm sure I saw this idea on Pinterest somehwere.

12 comments:

  1. Haha I feel the same way-I pin all these things that I am dying to try (and still am) and then complete some of them. However, the recipes are awesome (although it's annoying to weed through the thousands of crappy ones).

    What if you just look at it as (non guilt inducing) inspiration? Hah, who am I kidding, I can't do ANYTHING without feeling guilty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling guilty is part of being female, I swear.

      Delete
    2. Haha I'm totally going to use this quote and make an art piece with it! (if that's okay....)

      Delete
  2. Oh my yes. We have TONS of pins, of which we have attempted about five. Total. And I am so with you on the wedding mason jars...good Lord there are a ton!-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's really trendy and beautiful, I just never really saw burlap and glassware as decor before.

      Delete
  3. LOL! I know what you mean. I love Pinterest, but it's better for me in small doses so I don't start feeling too inadequate because I can't bring myself to save 975 toilet paper rolls for a craft.

    I mostly like to Pin stuff I see when I am doing my own online searches for stuff, to keep a catalog of my ideas. And just the other day I went through and looked at all my boards and deleted a bunch of stuff, because Easter Eggs made of 10 colors of Jello times 4 hours each layer to set? Ain't nobody got time for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know the pin of which you speak ;)

      Delete
  4. I have to confess, I have never tried anything from Pinterest. Ever!
    But I do agree with you. The second line of this post....EXACTLY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of self restraint! I couldn't resist a few things at first!

      Delete
  5. Pinterest is like my spot to dream! I pin all sorts of things I will NEVER EVER do. But every once in a while, I get motivated and I try something, mostly recipes, but I actually made laundry detergent too. I was quite proud of myself for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laundry detergent!! Amazing! I've seen it but haven't tried it ; ) Good for you!

      Delete