Monday, March 25, 2013

Nana's Easter treats

Easter is just around the corner. I know I already mentioned the amazing easter package that my mom sent, but I'm not done thinking about it yet.

When you do something like put your kids on a 'weird' diet, people aren't always supportive. 

Lots of people we love don't understand and still offer our kids junk food -it's fine, they know how to say no.  Some people say we're denying our kids a part of their childhoods.  Other people say that it's a part of the world we live in and there's no sense fighting it. Some hopefully well-meaning people have even said that the only reason the boys react to junk food is because they never get it.  If we would just let them eat like normal people, they'd get used to it.   Everyone has an opinion, but they aren't the ones that live with the effects after the 'harmless' holiday treats.

My mom has been supportive from day one.  She listens, encourages me, rejoices with me in the positive changes we've seen over the last year, and never doubts that I'm doing the very best for my kids that I can.  And some time last month, instead of arguing that it's only once a year and that a Nana has a right to spoil her grandkids with treats, she went out and thoughtfully chose things that would make my kids squeal with delight, without including a single thing they couldn't eat.  And she shipped it halfway across the world and got it here before Easter.

It's not really any harder or more expensive to make an easter basket without any junk food at all, it just takes a little time and thoughtfulness. I can't say that my mom has any more time than anyone else, but she sure has thoughtfulness down.

She included: two adorable easter plates, a charming Peter Rabbit book, rabbit window clings, a card, and two egg decorating kits that use paper stick-ons to decorate the eggs, instead of dye.  The boys were thrilled, and didn't even think to ask about candy.  They've used those plates for at least 2 meals a day since the box arrived, and will be just as excited to use them again next Easter. No bag of jelly beans or box of peeps could have that kind of staying power.

Now, I can't make a listicle with just five items, so here's five more ideas for additive-free easter basket treats: Easter stickers, a coloring book, small toys (toy cars and bouncy balls may not have anything to do with easter, but my sons wouldn't complain- you could even put them inside plastic eggs) hair clips, and if you're lucky enough to have some at your disposal: dye-free candy.

My boys are so fortunate to have such a thoughtful and generous Nana.  Thanks again, Mom.

20 comments:

  1. Love this! And the picture of your mom is gorgeous! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE this! Nothing beats the support of your mom. :)-The Dose Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true- her support makes it much easier!

      Delete
  3. Your Mom sounds awesome (and she's so young!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god I'm such an idiot, I didn't even think about the easter egg dye being a problem!! Man, it's a good thing you are her to set us straight!! :)

    Your mom is GORGEOUS!! And that is awesome she is on your side. It would be really hard if she was trying to sneak them treats. What fun easter baskets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really might not be a problem at all, unless there were little cracks in the shell, like you see sometimes, where the dye seeps through.

      But this way we don't have to worry about it.

      And yes, she is beautiful and a great ally!

      Delete
  5. WOW...what a great Easter basket! My older son had a lot of food sensitivities when he was little so had to avoid all the candy stuff too. Sure had to be "inventive" when it came to all the candy-related holidays for sure.

    I'm with Stacie too...your mom is awesome and young! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nanas are the best. Mine included :)
    She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is something special about a Nana, isn't there?

      Delete
  7. Beautiful!!! I opt for candy free Easter treats as well. I still don't understand the negative stigma behind healthy living but I likely never will. The basket ideas are perfect and you're very blessed to have such a wonderful mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ducky! I know, we're pretty lucky.

      Delete
  8. I love all these basket ideas! We're doing an "egg hunt" indoors, and though my kids can eat anything and some chocolate will be included I still prefer to temper it with books, and small toys, and now I have all these new ideas from you, so thanks!!
    I wish my mom was as understanding as yours, I let her give them some candy but I put an absolute ban on coke (do preschoolers really need caffeine??) and she still gives it to them, because we had it, and we grew up just fine. Makes me want to bang my head against a wall!! (Plus, my husband's company makes soft-drinks, like sprite and fanta that have no additives, preservatives, or food coloring) just raw organic cane sugar, organic lemon or orange juice, spring water, a little citric acid and carbonation, the kids love it and it's fine as an occasional treat- but she just doesn't get it. sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your mom doesn't get it. I agree, kids don't need coke! Your husband's natural soda sounds great.

      Delete
  9. Your mom is beautiful! These are great ideas. We do an easter egg hunt every year in our neighborhood and one of the girls is deadly allergic to nuts so to be on the safe side I always fill the plastic eggs with stickers and little plastic animals. They are always a hit with kiddos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lucky girl to have neighbors to do something like that for her! :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Everyone needs a supportive mom! Isn't it scary to think we're it for our boys? :)

      Delete