Monday, March 11, 2013

Memories

I read once that smells can trigger our memories better than anything else.   

I offer no explanation or excuse for loving number 10. Even if I don't eat it anymore, I can't deny how good it smells.

1. Line dried laundry - don't you just remember putting your face right in it and breathing deeply?  I still do, sometimes.
2. Babies - I don't know many moms who don't love to snuggle a freshly-washed baby.

3. A new book - I have always enjoyed a new book, and the smell is part of the sensory experience.
4. Lemongrass - It's no wonder that spas and massage parlors often use lemongrass... it's so relaxing!
You will have to take my word for it that this place smelled like lemongrass.
5. Peppermint - It makes me think of Christmas, my favorite time of the year.
6. Plumeria blossoms - Before I lived in Thailand, Plumeria made me think of Hawaii.  Now it's a reminder of my good fortune, living in a tropical paradise.
We have these trees surrounding our house on all sides, yet somehow this is the only picture I could find of them
7. The ocean - Like probably everyone else who listed the ocean as a favorite scent, to me the ocean represents the beauty of nature and peace, and that feeling of being so small in such an enormous world.
8. Bacon frying - Well, who doesn't like the smell of bacon frying?  It's just delicious!
9. A woodstove burning- This is reminder of my house growing up.  The smell of a woodstove is warm and comforting.
10. Movie theater popcorn- Like I said.  No explanation.  It just smells heavenly.

Why not write your own listicle and share your favorite scents? 

What smells do you love and what do they remind you of?





22 comments:

  1. How did I not think of a new book?!? lol

    Here's my list:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2013/03/listicles-smells-31113.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few of the same ones on my list. I agree with you about the popcorn - that's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love/hate walking by the theater in the mall because of the irresistible smell!

      Delete
  3. ooooh, great list!! The new book...the ocean...the popcorn..the bacon...oh, yes!
    You're so right, there is nothing that brings memories flooding back like a scent. Years ago I walked by a woman wearing my mom's perfume and I was instantly homesick for her--it took me a minute to even realize what had just happened! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of restraint to not make mine all food! I'm not 100 percent sure what scents would remind me of my dad, but certain soaps and shampoos do. And his old bathroom.

      Delete
  4. I am with you on the ocean. It is a great smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if people who live there get tired of it? I think I never would.

      Delete
  5. good picks, I can't believe I forgot bacon???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like cinnamon or babies or books, but it's sure a good one. :)

      Delete
  6. This so true for me, Robin, you can't even imagine. And sometimes it's not a good thing because I tend to link certain smells with 'certain' people. I don't think I need to explain that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asia has so many wonderful smells--I focused my list on the Northwest, but I could have made a separate list solely about Asia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost made a Thailand-only smells list. I'm from the northwest-good smelling place!

      Delete
  8. Ooohh I love these! I made my own, thanks for the idea!

    http://www.alwaysoverthinkingit.com/2013/03/a-list-of-smells.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the scent of wood and leaves burning in the outdoors.

    I like the scent of bacon frying, BUT I do not like when I leave the house and it's in my clothing and hair.

    And with movie theater popcorn...it's very hard to deny that smell!

    I do like lemongrass when it's a scent in bath and beauty products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bacon smell does stick around, doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, movie theatre popcorn, that smell is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm' we just went to a movie and I made sure to have a big dinner just before, to help me combat that temptation!

      Delete
  11. I hope what you say is true about line dried laundry - I do that in the summer and early fall here. I know my kids love it because they always sleep better on the sheets.... smells do bring back such great memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will bring your kids back to sweet summer nights! :)

      Delete