Friday, February 1, 2013

Welcome to the club

Whim saw his first bad seizure today.

It's weird, I've seen so many. We're in totally different places. Whim's seen his fair share of little ones and near misses. But the big ones change you, especially at first.

I've seen enough now, and seen him recover afterward, to know that it's ok. But I still remember the first one, and how I thought we had lost him. The panic and desperation and terror. Not of the seizure, though it is scary, but the lifelessness afterward. He came around, thank God, and was fine. But Whim didn't get it, then, how gone he was.

I guess I get why he wasn't always on board with the diet change and maybe didn't back me up enough at the doctor's appointments those first few months. Not that he didn't believe me, but he hadn't been rocked like that, yet.

For the first time today, I saw Whim mentally rolling over the puzzle pieces: twenty-two days, no new foods, he hasn't been sick, he did miss his nap this morning...
Welcome to the club, babe.



8 comments:

  1. :( That sucks Lennon had another seizure. But it's good Whim was there to see. Sometimes you do just have to experience stuff to believe it.

    Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think he'd see more, being the stay-at-home parent, but it isn't that way. I don't really know why... Maybe he has them more in the evening when he's worn out, so he's with me.

      Delete
  2. Oh, no. I think seeing a big seizure has to change your perspective. Without that you are intellectually on board, of course, but until you see it, I don't think it can hit you viscerally in the same way.

    I'm sorry there wasn't an obvious change or problem that you could say, "well this is why it happened today" (except maybe the nap) Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover how that must feel. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nap one is the hardest to really be good about enforcing. Sometimes you have to run errands or make appointments or whatever. He fell asleep in the car right after it happened, so I guess he was just really worn out.

      Delete
  3. It breaks my heart that it's happened again, just as I was getting my hopes up because it's been a while since the last one. I wouldn't say it's a good thing, but at least now I think Whim would be more on board and more involved with the diet change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xae. It helps to see the silver lining :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry about the seizure. : ( Glad you are both on the same page now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They're not as scary as they used to be, but they are still no fun.

      Delete