Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine heartbreaks

We were up for preschool snack again today. Just in time for Valentine's day.

Someone else was already bringing cookies and icing for decorating, so I thought long and hard and settled on the only snack I ever make: fruit and veggie plate.

Of course Pinterest was rife with ideas, but every modern mom must remember the age-old adage A pin in the hand is worth two in the board, as well as Not all who re-pin are crafty. I tried my best, and although there were no tears shed, I can't say the same for exasperated sighs before I finally gave up and piled the apple hearts on the plate and called it a night.

Also, on top of the fruity fiasco, that night I got a message that no pressure, but a few of the kids would be bringing Valentines cards to class tomorrow.

I wanted to throw in the towel, but it dawned on me that this is the first of many, many unrealistic things I will be helping my boys do the night before for school. Suddenly it felt like a milestone. It changed my whole perspective and I really embraced it. We got out the markers and the 20-baht-shop heart shaped sticky notes and did it up right. M dutifully copied his friends names on the backs and I admit to stressing out a tad because WHY must he start every name exactly in the middle of the heart? But we succeeded and he went off to preschool with a box of valentines in his bag.

And then came home with them still in there. Oh well, I figure as far as valentines heartbreaks go, it could be a lot worse.



10 comments:

  1. You fruit and veggie plate looks great!
    Maybe he never gave out the valentines because other didn't either?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He came back home with a handful of them!! I asked him, but he said he just forgot. You'd think that everyone else passing would be a reminder, but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah that's hilarious he forgot! Although, maybe not as funny to you since you had to help him do them all :)

    Your veggie and fruit plate is adorable! Also, I love your Pinterest wisdom ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a good word for Pinterest expectations, like how it makes me set my sights too high. Expintrations? Something.

      Delete
    2. Haha totally!! I tried the sock bun and failed miserably.

      Aspintirations?

      Delete
    3. Oh the sock bun! I was reeled in by that one, too. My sister perpetuated that lie, claiming that it gave her gorgeous curls. I tried it- nothing!

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love your perspective. YOU NAILED IT. When you realize it's just the first in a long journey of "night before school" projects, it's not so bad. (I, myself, spent 2 hours helping Lucy fold her Valentine's into origami shapes for her classmates last night. I have a hand cramp today to prove it!)
    The fruit and veggies looked ADORABLE! Those carrot flower/wheel deals look professional. That had to be hard to do!!

    His Valentine's are cute. They ALWAYS start the names like that! So funny!!

    I *MASTERED* the sock bun. I have to do it for Lucy's dance twice a week. Regular buns always fell out half way through class. No curls, but it makes a bun that always looks perfect and never falls out. (I have to admit, I didn't learn it on Pinterest, though. I watched a youtube tutorial. BAM!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- the elusive pin-win! I've heard it was possible, but never seen it myself.

      Whim did those carrots. I always laughed that Thai children all learn fruit and vegetable carving in school, like we learn square dancing. No more!

      Delete
  5. this sounds just like how things go at our house! glad i'm not alone in my pin-fails. thanks for sharing, i'm over from finding the funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I love pinterest, sometimes it makes me feel like a terrible mother! :)

      Delete