Monday, February 11, 2013

Rube Goldberg machine

Yesterday, M and I spent the day setting up and perfecting a simple (but 100% awesome) Rube Goldberg machine.  L was sick (ughhh!) and we weren't going anywhere all day, so we needed something entertaining and fairly quiet that we could do while L alternated between screaming to be held and begging to lay in my bed.

My facebook friends will have to forgive me because I already posted one of these videos and several pictures of the setup, but I couldn't help myself.  It was so fun to see M attempting something difficult, sticking with it, making adjustments, and the absolute thrill on his face when the light came on on the fifth run.

video
(Our second run. You can see M counting his words as he talks.  This is a quirk of his we used to see fairly often.  I'm not sure why he was doing yesterday, except that maybe he was excited about the machine.  Anyway, I liked how he was perfectly satisfied to keep trying again and again.)

video

Look at his eyes when the light goes on.  He's a nerd at heart, just like me.  I couldn't be prouder.


8 comments:

  1. Oh my god this is the coolest/cutest thing ever!! Yay Miles!! Ahhhh that's so exciting!! How fun, and what a neat idea! He is so adorable.

    I love that he counts his words as he talks! It makes me feel better about typing all my words. ;)

    I am proud of him too! Oh, and I love his pj's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your typing, Tara, because my dad had that habit his whole life. When my brother (or sister, can't remember?) was little, they had to internally say everything backward before they would say it outloud. It's good for me to remember we all have quirks. No shame. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robin! Ha I totally forgot that you commented about your dad's habit! No shame is right! :)

      The first time I watched this I didn't have sound (my work computer sucks) so I watched again and it was even better. He is so cute! I love the first video where he repeats himself. I am the same way with stuff-I can't move on until I get it right.

      Delete
    3. Good perspective, Tara! I always think of it as being stuck and not able to move on, but maybe it is a matter if just not wanting to go on until he gets it right.

      Delete
  2. This made me so happy! It's awesome how kids find delight in such small things.
    I love the way he talks - counting the words - it's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really was delighted! He couldn't wait to show Whim when he got home.

      Delete
  3. I can't even tell you how much I love this!! It brings back the memories because my son was obsessed with Rube Goldberg machines when he was in second grade. He would make them...draw pictures of different ideas... he wrote stories about them..you name it! (we are nerds, too! Nerds rule!!)

    I loved Miles' excited yip when it worked!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope Miles still likes them when he's old enough to write and draw like that, that's awesome! That night at dinner he kept saying things like, "and I hit the fork, And it hits the glass, and it flies up to my mouth, and I drink it!"

      Delete