Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New look

I don't usually post a lot of pictures of myself on here, because I don't really like getting my picture taken and the photos always look strained and awkward.   Plus, my kids are cuter and I mostly write about them anyway.  Today is different.

Yesterday I got a haircut, and I love it!  I'm so excited, I want to show my blog friends.  But to fully appreciate the change, you have to see the before.

This is one of my favorite pictures, which is why I use it on my profile.
Last summer, so it doesn't show quite the length, but you get the idea.

I haven't always had long hair.  There was this unfortunate look that I sported for 3 whole years in middle school.  But then I grew it out, and I think since then I was always wary of reliving that tragedy.

You might think this was my best friend Bryn and her middle school boyfriend, but you would be wrong.
I actually also cut it short when Whim and I were dating, in 2006, grew it out, and then and cut it again when I had L, but my hair has always grown fast, and most of my life, it has looked like that picture on the bike.

Now, contrary to speculation, I didn't grow it long for any particular reason.  No religious covenant or ancient curse or anything.  I just liked it.  I still look at the pictures and think it looked pretty.

But I was sick of it.  And I saw friends with cute, short haircuts and I'd catch myself wishing I could cut mine and feeling bummed that I didn't like short hair.  Which is stupid of course, because if I didn't like it, why was I pining for it?

So yesterday I cut it.  And now it looks like this:

I love it! 

18 comments:

  1. WOW! That is a dramatic change! I like it too! My hair is short, and I love it that way (even though it means I can't just throw it in a ponytail to get presentable).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will miss my longtime companions, pony tail and messy bun.

      Delete
  2. Whoa! That's a bigger change than I had expected!
    But you're right to love it - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, you look FANTASTIC!!! I loved your long hair, but this cut is so chic and flattering!!! I cut about 6 inches off my hair last Fall, but your adorable cut here makes me wonder if I should go a bit shorter still because it's so great.
    LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I still think the long hair was nice in its own way, but now I feel fresher and cute, so it's like the hair was dragging me down and I didn't even realize it.

      Delete
  4. Your haircut is adorable!! I think you look great with short hair-that's how I always picture you, at least after the last picture you posted where you were playing with Miles.

    I LOVE that picture of you on the bike. It's one of those pictures that I almost have to look away from because I feel like I'm spying on you at a really intimate moment. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara that's so funny- I went back to look at that picture of Miles and me, and it does look short, but it was still long then. It must have been all down the side, but I had to double take because it totally is how I look now.

      Delete
  5. This is the first I am reading of you and I'm guessing it speaks a lot about the kind of person you are. Just in one radical haircut, I see boldness and willingness to accept and embrace change. I admire that very much. I cut bangs over a week ago and I'm still hung up on how I feel about them. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awfully kind, thank you! I hope you stick around. :)

      Delete
  6. I think it is a good change, especially since your hair grows out so fast (I am jealous)! Haha that picture of us and what you said about it being my boyfriend made me laugh pretty hard! I never thought it looked weird when you had that cut, and I don't think you look like a boy in it. P.S. I can't figure out how to see that you replied to my comment. There's no box to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're supposed to click the subscribe to this post thing at the bottom?

      Thanks for your kindness, but I still can't believe I had it like that for so long.

      Delete
  7. P.P.S. I love my huge, white t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Our clothes were the worst. Except that one outfit you copied from Brio.

      Delete
  8. I think you look great with short hair. I'm thinking about getting a major cut but I haven't been brave enough yet. If my hair grew as fast as yours I wouldn't hesitate though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to decide. I put it out of my head but it kept gnawing on me. For me I'm glad I did it, but that time I cut it in 2006 it looked bad and I regretted it. You just never know.

      Delete