Monday, February 25, 2013

10 things I'll never buy at Tops Supermarket

I wasn't going to do the listicle this week, but then we stopped at the grocery store on the way home to pick up some cream, and I was inspired.

Keep in mind, I had a miserable L in tow, so I had to make it quick.

With no further ado: 10 things I would never buy at Tops Supermarket.

#1 Darlie Toothpaste.  Formerly known as "Darkie Toothpaste." Wow, you changed one letter of the offensive name.  Great job.  I think I'll go for anything else on the shelf.



#2 Weet-Bix Bites Wild Berry.  The only food I know with 100% certainty to cause Lennon's seizures.  I'll pass on this one, too.
#3.  Schwarzkopf Honey Blond Freshlight.  I guess it's a highlighting kit.  If I was going to highlight my hair, I would go for one that didn't have a Blythe doll on the box.  Or small print about not being intended for use in children under 16.

#4.  Heinz Salad Cream, "Pourable Sunshine".  This is one of the grossest things about Thailand.  Take mayonnaise, put it in a bottle, sell it as salad dressing. Yum.

#5. Tasto Brand Seaweed Shrimp Tempura flavored chips. 


#6. Lays Lobster Hot Plate flavored potato chips.  What is wrong with sour cream and onion?

#7. Bird's Nest Beverage, any brand.  There is a whole aisle of them.

#8. Bird's Nest Beverage decorative basket.  This is a whole separate aisle from #7, people always bring you these when you are in the hospital.


#9 Lite sugar.  Half the calories of regular sugar, simply by adding MSG and aspartame!



#10.  This one is just silly.  Goon.

I hope you enjoyed this peek into Thailand's supermarkets more than L did.  (Whining-induced seizure)

34 comments:

  1. OMG...what a great idea babe. Love that you found those crazy products. Can't believe people buy them though, LOL Stopping by from the Listicles blog hop. Have a great Monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that lite sugar was the worst of them all!

      Delete
  2. The lobster chips are a particularly gross thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... They do have some interesting flavors though- chili paste was my particular favorite.

      Delete
  3. That was great, I had no idea they even made lite sugar, how weird...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, somehow it hasn't taken off around the world ;)

      Delete
  4. This was really cool to see - funny list! What's the deal with that hair dye??? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those dolls are wildly popular (and expensive!!!) here. Maybe it's a Thailand-only kind of thing?

      Delete
  5. I could read a post EVERY week that was nothing but interesting things in your grocery store. I'm completely and totally fascinated by the things you have at your fingertips!
    Now I know about salad cream...and lobster flavored Lays...and Goon. I feel so worldly and sophisticated!!! (but that toothpaste has GOT to go!)
    Awesome post!! So glad you had to go to TOPS yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! Hmmm.... Maybe I'll have to do it again when I have more time at the store. But who I am kidding- whenever we are at the store, someone is always crying!

      Delete
  6. Salad cream? Ugh. Just the thought of that makes me feel a bit pukey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting list!

    Love the hand that creeps up in picture #9...lol.

    That is some very interesting food items.

    I was cracking up at Bird's Nest beverage....and then the Bird's Nest baskets...wow.

    I found your blog today through Monday Listicles.

    Have a great day!
    http://artpark78.com/blog1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that hand. I would have retaken it but Lennon was so grumpy.... I had to take what I could get.

      Delete
  8. That was fascinating! Weird, but fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! I'm glad it was interesting. :)

      Delete
  9. Ahahah these were awesome!! Darlie toothpaste?! What the? And the lite sugar is weird. I have to say, I'm kind of intrigued by the lobster chips, only because I tried prawn chips in Europe and they were pretty good. But I'd still take sour cream and onion any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably are good. Chips would have to be prety awful not to taste good. The best are the chili paste ones.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic! Having lived in Japan and being married to a Brit, some of these items were familiar to me (or similar to what I've seen before). Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you've seen the squid strips then, huh?

      Delete
  11. OMG! Robin, I did not know that DarLie toothpaste used to be DarKie!!
    It's everywhere in this country but I haven't been brave enough to buy it, and now I'm glad! And who names diapers 'Goon'?
    I never understood the seafood flavored chips either. I'm with you on the sour cream and onion 100 percent!
    This is a great list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.... I heard the darlie/darkie thing online, so.... It must be true. Actually I think it is though.

      Delete
  12. Totally appreciated it! You make me smarter and laugh harder. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the seizure at the end of your trip. :( You made me laugh over the "Pourable Sunshine." We will start calling mayo THAT in my household. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! I love it! Lite Sugar! Why, Yes...... I don't even know what to say about Lobster Hot Plate potato chips!!
    Thanks for visiting me at GO Cheap or GO Home, and for making me laugh on a very rainy and sure to be long whiny day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! I hear you on rainy, whiny days. Hang in there!! :)

      Delete
  15. Pretty sure I could lose weight if I move there. They absolutely killed chips for me. GAHROSS! And Darkie toothpaste? All I can do is shake my head....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhahahahah, well there are an awful lot of flavors... One is sure to tempt you. :)

      Delete
  16. OMG! you really have me laughing. Who on earth chooses some of these names and packaging. Also, anything that did not grow before it is eaten is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stasha! Some of them are pretty strange indeed.

      Delete
  17. Oh good Lord. The mayonnaise in a jar made me almost vomit in my mouth. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And if you don't specifically remember and say you don't want it, it will be on your salad every time you get a salad anywhere. Yuck!

      Delete