Monday, February 18, 2013

10 little things that bring me joy

This week's listicle must have been hand-chosen for me.

Today marks one year into our additive-free lifestyle, and a lot of little things bring me joy these days.

1. Shirt tags.  Once a guaranteed meltdown, now a harmless scrap of cloth.  Love them!

2. Mornings. Some mornings, I wake up to find M nestled in bed with us.  That moment alone could fill this list - his deep breaths, his long lashes, the way he slips in quietly, without waking either of us, and falls right back to sleep.  Other days, he comes scampering in a few hours after I wake up, bursting with exciting news about his dreams.  Still other mornings, he wakes me quietly with an armload of books.  The thing he doesn't do now is come in crying inconsolably, every other morning, about how he wants to be so happy. 

3. Taxi rides.  L used to have seizures in the taxi every time, without fail.  Just getting into a taxi would send my blood pressure through the roof.  Now, every time we take a taxi, my heart beats a thank you for all that has changed.

4. Outings.  I no longer live in fear of them!

5. Flowerfood brand sunflower seed bars with sunflower seed butter.  Our favorite snack.

6. These, which I now find all over the house.
Every one makes my heart surge.

7.  Our market, which is so wonderful it deserves its own post, coming soon!

8. Instagram.  Parenting is just better with a little filter.












9. My blog.  It may be silly and it's definitely tiny, but the community that has been borne of it does bring me joy every day.

10.  The boys.  They've brought me joy since before they were even born, but I enjoy them now more than I ever have.

34 comments:

  1. I agree that blogs are little pieces of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me feel good just reading it, you can feel the joy coming off each item on your list! So glad your life is so much more peaceful and your boys are beautiful! Found you on Stasha's Monday Listicles, looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by! Yes, life sure is more peaceful around here now :)

      Delete
  3. They are beyond cute...yes outings are much better now. Great list babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- a Dino hero? You would go over really well around here!! :)

      Delete
  4. Ellen and I ar both surprised by how much joy the old blog brings. Your pics are great! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, especially the comments. It's like (in the old days) when we'd be excited to see a message on the machine. It's that same little jolt of happiness, to me.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that things are getting better and you're feeling more relaxed now. I know it must be important for every mom to enjoy their kids' childhood without being constantly in fear.
    I'm also very glad that these 10 things bring you so much joy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Xae! I'm glad I can be a more relaxed mom now.
      :)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love this Robin! :) I smiled the whole time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's fun when the listacle fits with what is already like to write about. :)

      Delete
  7. Visiting from Listicles. Totally with ya on the Instagram filters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Love these Robin! And I love your blog. I look forward to reading it every day!

    I'm so happy that things are getting better. It breaks my heart that Miles would say he just wanted to be so happy. And I can only imagine how it made you and Whim feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid we used to laugh when he said it- we thought he was just being a silly toddler. It broke my heart when I realized it had been true all along.

      Thank you, Tara. I love reading your blog, too!

      Delete
  9. What a great list, Robin! I am so glad that you figured out that additives were the enemy and have so successfully eliminated them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it scares me to think of what things would be like now, if we had never figured it out.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, can't wait until my little guy starts writing letters! Love that you find them all over the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really will bring you joy. I love to see his mind growing and so excited to learn.

      Delete
  11. My son has sensory processing disorder so I can SO relate to the tag thing. After 7 years, most of them go un-noticed! Hooray! Certainly worth a place on your list!
    Visiting from listicles :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be checking your blog out later. I wonder if diet changes could help your son have less struggles, too?

      Delete
  12. Glad to ear that some things that used to be challenges now bring you joy - that is so wonderful. Also, I love discovering little notes around the house, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those notes adorable? I can't wait until they say more than just 'Mom'.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your 1 year additive-free lifestyle! Good for you and so happy to hear such positive results. Makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just awesome. I'm amazed and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much positive change! JOY JOY JOY awesome

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is better with a little filter. And definitely without additives! So wonderful to see change in action. I am a firm believer in eating food as it is grown and intended by nature!! Fist pump ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Stasha! It sure has worked wonders for us.

      Delete