Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Progress

M just sat with me for over an hour listening to chapter after chapter of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Forty-eight straight pages.

After every chapter or two, I'd ask if he wanted to be done or keep going, and he just kept begging me to keep reading.  We read straight up to bedtime.  Charlie's found the money in the gutter, and M just knows he's going to find a ticket.


L split his lip at the playground yesterday and got his hand trampled by a kid climbing up the slide, and even though he got close, he didn't have a seizure either time.  We can never be sure which events will trigger seizures, but either of those could have done it.

Yes, M still has problems with self-control and can be a little wild.  Yes, L still has seizures.

But we have come a long way.  This time last year, L had been diagnosed a little over a month and was having seizures constantly. We had no idea what to do and hadn't even found a decent doctor.

And as if that wasn't stressful enough, we had to rush M to the emergency room TWICE last January.  We had no choice but to be helicopter parents, because we literally could not let him out of our sight for even a minute.  He had no friends, and even though our family and friends loved him, I felt like we couldn't take the boys anywhere. We were at our wit's end.

I am so grateful for the answers we have found and the changes we've seen in all of our lives.  And if I ever feel down or have a bad day, a quick peek at my facebook feed from this time last year is all it will take to get me back to the right perspective.

6 comments:

  1. Hooray for progress! That's so sweet you got to read for so long. I loved being read to when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was the best. I didn't want to stop either, because who knows if today he's going to want to keep reading or not. I hope so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are super, super cute. Glad that things are getting better for you!

    Thanks for stopping by Urban Moo Cow and commenting on my WW post. I am having huge issues with my commenting system so I had to delete your comment. After a lot of research, I've figured out that commenting via a mobile device somehow messes with the system. SO. FRUSTRATING.

    Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hi and thanks and explain why I deleted your comment! ~UMC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry! Thanks for coming by. :) Next time I'll remember to comments from my computer instead.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that things are falling in to place for you and your family. (well, not simply falling in to place--that makes it seem random, and I know that's not it. You've worked hard and done so many active things to make things better for your children and family!)

    Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was my absolute favorite book growing up. I remember having it read to me by my 3rd grade teacher and then reading it myself probably 20 time after that over the years. I haven't thought of that in a long time!

    So glad that Lennon didn't have a seizure yesterday at the playground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Roald Dahl the best? Funny because I teach third grade and read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the students every year.

      It's not my favorite though, that is a tie between two of his other books: "Danny, the Champion of the World" and "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar." If you've missed either of those, they are so much fun.

      Delete