Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year Road trip

Whim surprised us after New Year by taking the week off for a road trip.

We took off yesterday morning with no plans, no reservations, and amazingly- no dread.

Normally, I like having plans. But it has been great so far. Usually on the way to our destination, we pass waterfalls and zoos, and butterfly gardens, but we never have time to stop. There is always somewhere to be.

Yesterday we stopped at Khao keow zoo, which is only an hour from Bangkok. I would never do this if we had a plan.

We spent the whole day there, and ended up staying the night in Pattaya with friends. The best part- they're hooking us up with a friend who has a resort in Koh Chang. We're going to the beach!











6 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! How brave your little guys feeding scary birds (they get so close to you. I would freak out!) and actually holding a raptor of some kind (is that an eagle or hawk?)
    What a fun day...and then you were off to the beach?! I don't have friends that set me up in beach resorts. I clearly need to work on that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I love about Thailand is that people have a lot of (healthy) pride in their connections- if they can help someone, they will.

      So our friends in Pattaya were glad to help us out, and they know if there's ever anything Whm and I can do for them, we'll do it.

      Delete
  2. FUN! Adorable pics of you all!

    Hah it's so true-when you have a destination it's so hard to stop at things on the way. Love that you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unlike me, but it's been awesome. I think I need to forget planning more often.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your whole happy, beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell we're sitting on an elephant in that picture? We totally are.

      Delete