Monday, January 14, 2013

I am sick of kids movies



After three weeks of Christmas vacation, I am a little sick of kids' movies.  (Except Totoro.  I will love you forever, Totoro.)  I may or may not have told my son at one point today that what we were looking at was the end of western civilization as we know it.
But Whim is out, the kids are asleep, and I'm going to watch my favorite movie.

It has always been my favorite.  It was my go-to movie in college, when I was bored, or sick, or wanted to fall asleep to something comfortable.  The heroine is "one of the greatest and most complex characters ever written, not that you would know."  But seriously, she is one of the most charming.   And it's the movie from which, to this day, quotes can come tumbling out of my mouth at any time, with no warning. 

You've Got Mail is the i-ching. 
You've Got Mail is the sum of all wisdom.
You've Got Mail is the answer to any question.
What should I get my best friend for her birthday: "...cheap books and legal addictive stimulants."
What is the most important relationship advice?  "Never marry a man who lies."
And the answer to my evening entertainment is: You've Got Mail.

But first, for your listicle pleasure: My top ten most useful You've Got Mail quotes.

1. Whenever I am required to talk about coffee (which I don't drink.)
Tall!  Decaf! Cappucino!

2. Any time I have no cash, which is always.
She has no cash?  She has no cash!  Get in another line, lady.

3. Whenever I have to talk about politics.
Is she republican? I ... can't help... myself.

4. Any time someone asks me to spell tweaking. What? It happens. I'm a teacher.
T-w-e-a-k-i-n-g!

5. Whenever I am in a buffet line.
That caviar is a garnish!

6. Anytime people start talking about how good of a deal they got on something when someone else paid more.  Why do people do that?
The joy of rent control.  Six rooms.  Four fifty a month! 

7.  Whenever people are bumming me out.
This place is a tomb!  I'm going to the nut shop where it's fun.

8.  Whenever I'm rummaging around for something.
Where are my tic-tacs?!

9.  When I finish something.
On to the next!  Taw! Taw!

10. Any time that I say the word report (It's a lot when you're a teacher)
Report - - as in gunshot!

And bonus: my favorite quote of all, which I have never been able to work into any conversation, any time, ever in the last 15 years, much to my dismay: "You know what's always fascinated me about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg is how old they looked when they were really just... our age."

Do you have a movie you can quote from start to finish, or are you a shusher?

28 comments:

  1. You have great taste, Robin! I probably haven't watched it as much as you have, but I can assure you, it was more than once, and loved it every single time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, thanks Xae. Do you have a go-to movie of your own?

      Delete
  2. Well I need to give that movie a second chance. I loved Sleepless in Seattle but I wasn't feeling them together in You've Got Mail. I promise to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha... I wonder if I just saw it now for the first (or second) time if I'd really love it. I think maybe a bit part of it for me is all the years of swooning and knowing it backward and forward.

      Delete
  3. I didn't include it on my list but it is also one of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, my siblings and I think the exact same thing. We quote this movie constantly. Love the way you structured the list. I just worked that Julius and Ethel Rosenberg quote into a conversation last year and it went right over my friend's head. Dork problems, Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! I'm going to keep watching. One day the stars will align and someone will mention them. :)

      Delete
  5. this reminds me......due for another viewing.
    great how you fit all the best quotes in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too much You've Got Mail. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen it in forever, but I was weirdly thinking about it just the other night!

    I'm totally going to use the Tic-Tacs one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love, love, LOVE your list!!!! OMG!! That caviar is a garnish!!!! I will salute you if you ever work that Julius and Ethel Rosenberg quotation in a conversation. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! FINGERS CROSSED. You've now reminded me that I NEED to see that movie again. It's been way too long!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I must just have the wrong kind of friends. Spies never come up in our conversations....

      Delete
  8. That scene in the buffet line cracked me up. Great take on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call me cheesy but I love when she takes some off his plate for herself.

      Delete
  9. I love how you listed ten lines from your favorite movie. I am ashamed that I don't remember any of these and now somehow feel less cool. I think I will have to watch this one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get on it! Your cool factor will be back to normal in no time! :)

      Delete
  10. I think I feel asleep in the middle of it -- but I must have been utterly exhausted because whenever I hear it mentioned I'm think how I liked it and Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I need to get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that last quote. I haven't watched You've Got Mail for so long I couldn't quite remember the other quotes though. Makes me want to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me smile and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just watched this movie the other day! I had forgotten how funny it was :) And that's totally me with no cash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never go wrong choosing You've Got Mail.

      Delete
  14. Love it. I just watched it at the gym the other day. Meg is the cutest F-O-X!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that FOX line. Also, "Good thing it wasn't the fish!!"

      There were too many good ones. :)

      Delete