Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holiday memories

Whim came home this weekend with five boxes of candy canes.  I wrote before about how somehow the entire Christmas season seems, to me, to be wrapped up and encapsulated entirely within candy canes.

M had been asking for them as a decoration.  I was holding out, thinking that somehow I was going to find a dye-free brand somewhere, or that maybe I was going to make some.  But since they don't want to eat them anyway and only want to decorate with them, there was no reason not to spring for a box of the cheap, artificially colored 59 baht ones.  Or five.


L is in heaven.  Basically he spends all his waking hours (minus meals and quick bathroom breaks) moving the candy canes from one place on the tree to another.  He isn't picky.  As long as they are in clusters of 10 or more, he's happy.

So he's making his own kind of candy cane Christmas memories- of being entranced by the sparkling lights and the bright colors and shiny wrappers.

Tonight, the boys and I had another special holiday moment.  We were all snuggled up in M's bed reading tonight's Christmas bedtime story when M saw fireworks exploding in the sky outside his window.  Of course!  December fifth is Father's Day in Thailand- the King's birthday.  Fireworks lit up the sky in celebration, and the boys and I had a front-row seat from M's cosy bed.  Though they knew that today is Father's day, to them, these were Christmas fireworks.  And I wouldn't dream of spoiling that magical Christmas moment.  It couldn't have been more perfect.  The boys went to sleep with fireworks bursting overhead and visions of candy canes dancing in their heads.
 

10 comments:

  1. Everything sounds so lovely there. Happy Father's Day!

    I saw some very natural (and pale) candy canes in Whole Foods today. I wish I had noticed the brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The King's birthday is especially lovely because they decorate everything with white lights. It really makes everything feel Christmassy.

      Ooh those candy canes sound great. I've still got my eyes open in case we see some at the import market.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that first picture! It's just too cute for words.
    Bed time last night sounds perfect. It's just so nice to read about your beautiful family moments here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xae... it felt pretty perfect, too. :)

      Delete
  3. I saw some natural candy canes at Whole Foods yesterday and thought of you. I wish I could have mailed them off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! The shipping would have cost too much. I do have some friends visiting the states this Christmas. I can ask them to bring some back for us. Better late than never. :)

      Delete
  4. Our tree is candy cane free this year, and I didn't even notice until reading your post! Maybe next year :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute post. That made me laugh about Lennon being in heaven spending every waking moment rearranging the candy canes, and all in one cluster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drove Miles nuts- he kept trying to separate them when Lennon was distracted.

      Delete