Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Healthy snacks

He's supposed to have an apple-slice hat,
but this was just a dry run so I skipped it
Today was M's day to bring snacks for preschool.

The request was for something Christmassy.  I wanted to do these adorable banana slice snowmen I saw on Pinterest (obvs.) but I was worried that if I sliced them and got them ready that morning before work, they'd be brown and slimy by snacktime.   We tried them the other day and they were totally cute.  I will have to do them some other time... maybe for S week?

Anyway, I made a fruit/veggie plate instead. I hope that wasn't lame.  I wasn't trying to take a stand or make anyone feel bad about sending junky snacks or anything.  I don't even really know what they usually eat, because I don't ever get to go. Whim says it's generally things like goldfish or crackers or fruit.  I just wanted something that M could eat and that he would be proud to share.

The pea pod tree was decorated with bell pepper, and I put a row of apple slices around the outside edge.  I took the picture after I'd cut up the first apple.  You'll just have to imagine the apples go all the way around. :)  The covered bowl is macadamia nut butter.  I can't even say if it was good or not because I didn't try it.  It smelled really good, though.  And the star and presents are cheese.

After school today all that was left was a handful of peas and some of the macadamia nut butter.  I guess it was a hit.


12 comments:

  1. Mmm that looks good.

    The snowman is awesome! Pinterest rules :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I could never come up with something like that. Some people are so clever!

      Delete
  2. I am impressed! My Pinterest stuff never turns out. I always brought healthy snacks too, and we never had left overs because kids love natural food when you give them the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah....I've had my share of pinterest fails, too. The tree seemed easy enough. I don't know if the kids even got it, but they ate it so that's what mattered, I guess!

      Delete
  3. If my kids went to your kids' school, and I happened to be volunteering on the day this snack came in, I would FALL IN LOVE with you on the spot. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! That nice comment just made my day :)

      Delete
  4. The banana snowman looks awesome! All I do on Pinterest is pin, browse, and repin. I have never tried anything I've seen there. Maybe it's time to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I pin things that I know I'll never really do!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! My boys love it when I make their food into shapes like that.

      Delete
  6. Hey, I can see one of my friends in Rhode Island made your vegetable tree for her daughter's classroom snack today. If you want to see it, it's on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete