Saturday, December 1, 2012

Advent 2.0


There... that's better!
Even though I'm still 100% in love with our advent books idea, I was kind of bummed about not having something in the pockets for the boys to look forward to each day.  This morning, before they woke up, I decided to put two little ornaments in each pocket.  We already had these nutcracker and star ornaments, but we hadn't put them up this year for some reason.

Perfect!  Now every morning they'll get to add two ornaments to their tree, and every evening we'll read a book together.  I've said it a million times before - the boys really never complain about all the things they don't get, and it makes me want to give them all the special memories I can that don't revolve around junk food.

Anyway, speaking of the boys' tree, I have to say that it's so awesome.  It's one that another teacher gave me when she moved away.  I held on to it, knowing that one day it would be so cool for the boys to have their own tree in their room.  This year was the first year they seemed old enough not to destroy it, and so far so good.
The boys' tree, with their advent books wrapped up underneath.

I am pretty impressed by their job on this tree.  I didn't move a single ornament (obviously, given those giant apples hanging together at the bottom!) and they are so proud of it.  Anyway, the ornaments are all cheap plastic ones from Tesco Lotus that came with the tree, which is perfect of course, so we don't have to worry about them getting lost or broken.

Here's proof that kids can be thrilled about Christmas without candy canes and red and green m&ms.  As for me, well... Whim saw candy canes on sale for 59 baht a box and I've been so tempted!

8 comments:

  1. I love that you have the books wrapped under the tree. They will be so excited to rip open those packages each day! (and kudos to you because that is 24 days of wrapping!! That took awhile!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really thrilled last night. As soon as we'd finished it, Miles ran to the tree to choose another one. Good lesson in patience! :)
      I'm about 80% sure we won't wake up to piles of wrapping paper on the floor after a night of frenzied opening. We'll see! :)

      Delete
  2. Their own little tree is such a good idea :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'd usually feel like a second tree was extravagant and silly, but since it was free, I had no qualms.

      Delete
  3. so exciting! all those presents! those must be the advent books. i need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you guessed it! It's only been a few days but I can tell this is going to be a tradition that sticks for us.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love their tree! We keep the junk to a bare minimum in our house due to autism and other reasons. Our advent calendar is a magnetic nativity, which the kids LOVE. They don't even ask for an advent treat, I am hoping none of their schoolmates spill the beans either! I love what you are doing for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! I really love your philosophy about having very little stuff- we're not there yet, but one day I'd love to be.

      Delete