Tuesday, November 20, 2012

preschool drop out (Whim, not M)

We've always said we wouldn't treat L differently because of his seizures.

Obviously, that plan hasn't exactly worked out.

We watch his diet much more carefully than we would have otherwise, and we make sleep a priority for him even more than we did with M at that age.  I tell him he's alright and to dust himself off when he gets hurt, just like I did with M, but I also watch a little longer to make sure he starts breathing again.  And though we still discipline him consistently, I admit to sometimes using a gentler tone when scolding L, since so many of his seizures are emotionally triggered. 

But, until now, it really hadn't influenced any major decisions we made.

The preschool little siblings
Today, Whim stayed with the siblings instead of teaching at the preschool co-op - for the third week in a row.  Whim was hesitant to teach from the beginning, so when our friend suggested that maybe it would be better for him to stay with the siblings, instead of rotating with the other parents, he didn't have any objections.  The siblings room is much more his style, anyway.

L never actually had a seizure during preschool, but he almost always cried when Whim dropped him off.  And because crying is one of his triggers, it made the other moms nervous.  I totally understand - seizures are scary even when you are used to them.  While I am comfortable pushing L to do important things, even at the risk of seizures, I'm not as comforatable putting our friends in the position of having to deal with them without us there to help.  I just wonder if we're doing him a disservice by not letting him tough this out?



6 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh. That's a toughie. You know, I think you just have to trust your gut feeling about it. Especially for you because you are SO in tune with both of your boys.

    If your gut says that it's best not to push this because you wouldn't be there to help, that's probably the way to go. As he gets older I bet separating at drop-off won't cause the same level of upset, and it will make the whole thing feel easier.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. You're probably right. Miles never went through a weekly ritual of getting dropped off anywhere when he was 2-1/2... and when he started the co-op at almost-4, it was a non-issue. Hopefully next year when Lennon starts, it'll be just as easy.

      Delete
  2. That would be so hard. But I definitely don't think you are doing him a disservice. There are (unfortunately) plenty of crappy life lessons where you will have to teach him to tough it out. No big deal on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Tara. Who could have thought that such a pessimistic idea could make me feel so optimistic? Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine how hard this must be! I have a friend whose son has seizures sometimes. She never knows when he'll have them, but they don't happen often. Your post reminds me of her. I love the name "Lennon", by the way. Thanks so much for sharing your blog with me on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley, for coming by. I wonder if your friend would have any luck reducing her son's seizure frequency with diet.

      Delete