Sunday, November 18, 2012

Archers' visit

Our good friends the Archers came to visit us in Bangkok this week, and we spent the last 3 days as a family of 10.  It has been just as lovely and as crazy as you would imagine it might be.  For those keeping track at home, that's six kids under 12. 

The routine has already been thrown out the window... why not go out for bubble tea (or milk) two hours after bedtime?

I loved catching up with our friends and that our kids had a chance to spend time together.  And as crowded as it was, they were real troopers.  I was continually impressed with how mature and well-mannered our young guests were.  Truly good kids.

M has come so far in the last six months that it's easy to look on our current situation as good enough or even pretty great.  But seeing another family overcome jetlag, huge transitions, cramped quarters, strange foods, and cultural barriers while my own boys had crying fights over spots in the car and imaginary hotdogs... it kept me humble.  We still have a lot of room for improvement.

No complaints from me though, especially about the crowded house.  I got to spend the last three nights snuggled up with these darling rascals.  I admit that when we hugged our friends goodbye on the train this afternoon, I was relieved to think of the boys back in their own carseats and getting tucked into their beds tonight.  (I never seem to sleep as well with those little feet in my face.)  But that doesn't mean I didn't close my eyes and revel in the moment of waking up to a sight like this one.

Luckily for us, our friends will be back with us in a a few weeks.  We'd better rest up.




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Maybe one day John will be flying you guys over here. :) I'm sure the boys get along. Luke loves having his eyes pried open with chubby toddler fingers, right?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was fun :) Although, that many kids in one place at the same time may have thrown me over the edge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easier than I thought it would be. They are such great kids. :)

      Delete
  3. That sounds so fun! I love when friends come to visit. It's always nice to get back to your routine after they leave, but it's a good reminder that having friends visit is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having visitors, and then I'm always grateful to get back to normal. ;)

      Delete
  4. Awesome you had such a great visit, and yes, rest up now for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time it will be plus 1. All the more fun! :)

      Delete
  5. So nice to have good friends come to visit! We're looking forward to having our family here in a few days when we'll have 5 kids 12 or under. It's awesome!!! (and truly they seem to keep each other happy and busy) So glad you get to look forward to them coming back again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, family visiting is even better! This summer the kids will get a chance to see cousins... I just hope it goes better than it did two years ago ;) That was a madhouse.

      Delete