Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weet-bix Bites. Their words, not mine.

Weet-bix Bites, Wild Berry.

Whatever food additive it is that makes L susceptible to seizures is in Weet-bix Bites, Wild Berry flavor.

The frustrating back-story of how he got them doesn't matter, but at least we're getting closer to narrowing down the culprit.  He didn't actually have a seizure, but he had the closest near-miss you could imagine.  He managed a breath at the last possible second.  (Weirdly, later in the day he got a nosebleed out of nowhere.  It could just be a fluke, but it's never happened before.  I wanted to make a note of it, just in case it ever happens again.)

The ingredients listed on their website are: 
Wholegrain wheat (71%), sugar, berry purees (3%) (strawberry, blackcurrant, raspberry and blueberry), invert sugar, humectant (glycerol), honey, minerals (phosphate of calcium, iron), salt, wheat fibre, flavours, barley malt extract, gelling agent (pectin), acidity regulators (296), vitamins (niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, folate). 

The thing that jumps out at me automatically is the acidity regulator (e296).  I did a quick google search and found several sites listing e296 as dangerous for infants and young children.  Of course, "flavours" could mean anything, so that could be it, too.  I emailed the company asking if they could clarify what "flavors" means in this product.  I'm not holding my breath, but I do have my fingers crossed that they might provide us with a little more information.  Of course it could be any of those vitamins, or minerals, or something else that goes unlisted on the package.  But at least it's a clue.


It is worth mentioning that L used to eat this cereal all the time.  He hasn't had it since we changed his diet, but before that, it was a staple in our house since Miles started eating cereal.

8 comments:

  1. I read the terrific blog 100DaysofRealFood.com and she linked to another blog a while back that talked about "natural flavorings" and what they really are. It was eye-opening. Here is a link - http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I love 100 days of real food, but I hadn't visited Food Babe's site before. I hate how tricky labels can be. At first brush, you see something like natural flavors and it would be easy to assume they meant something actually.... natural.

      No word back from Weet-bix. We'll see. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope they give you all the information you asked for. I have a feeling you're gonna nail this on the head real soon. Wouldn't that be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely on the right track. I hope you get the info you need! (I've had bad experience with big companies in this regard with Bobby's peanut allergy, so I hope you fare better)

    Fingers crossed you can zero in on it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's probably naive to think they'll answer. No word yet. :)

      Delete
  4. I am hoping you get answers soon! From the journey my friend has gone through with this, I get how frustrating all of this can be. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith, for your kind support. I hope we can, too.

      Delete